Kentucky King Cab: 1979

Wildcat Walker

Looked at a 79 King Cab today. Belonged to the grandfather whom passed away.  Floors are in rough shape, going to need cab mounts and pans. Stock seats are gone. Rear side markers are missing, front valence markers messed up, grille busted, dash is rough, some rust in bed, bondo in pass fender and pass bed corner. Overall the truck is pretty rough in terms of the body, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of rust for being a KY truck.  Seller is asking $3500. I offered much less and could not make a deal, being patient that he will change his mind. I think the truck does have potential. Under hood still has smog equipment in place. Some random wires floating around. 

20230422-093019.jpg20230422-093039.jpg

20230422-093047.jpg20230422-093101.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Package tray was full of water, I suspect cowl has some issues. Windshield is a Pilkington, so its been replaced. Window squeegees inner and outer are all sorts of random, so are the door panels. Lots of small things missing/broken. Guy was nice enough to screw a cup holder into the center console. 

20230422-093124.jpg20230422-093146.jpg

20230422-093227.jpg20230422-094646.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/90kgcVfn/20230422-094656.jpg

Edited by Wildcat Walker
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

oooof, fight the good fight of not overpaying in the south.

Tell me about it. The kid did say that he was instructed to "get what he could get out of it" and that it "was only worth what someone was willing to pay". So far, I was the only one that showed up with cash., its been on the market for a month. The proceeds of the sale get split 3 ways amongst the family. 

I looked on google maps and the truck has been sitting for several years. Probably explains the rotten cowl and floor. 

It has all the original parts, so it's worth saving from the crusher.

The conversation usually goes like this - "Hey, for me to make money on this, I have to come in around this price. It's gonna take X amount of time to do the work and I have to make money, so if you want to make a deal, I'm here, with my trailer and cash."

Works every time.

2 hours ago, SWFL said:

$800?

I actually offered him more than that before I bounced. In my opinion, it's not worth a penny more. Someone with deeper pockets and a bigger hard on, may have a different opinion. If he bites at my last offer, I'll crawl around under the truck before I hand the money over. Those 23 layers of carpet and mats on top of the crust and rust is frightening. The 2020 average household income in the county this truck resides in is a whopping $33,000, with a poverty rate of over 26%. 

• 3 weeks later...

Truck sold for $2400 to someone from Indianapolis, way too much in my opinion. But there always someone who seems to have a money tree. If the new owner is on here, I would love to see the full extent of the floor pan damage and the bondo in the corners. 

13 hours ago, Wildcat Walker said:

Truck sold for $2400 to someone from Indianapolis, way too much in my opinion. But there always someone who seems to have a money tree. If the new owner is on here, I would love to see the full extent of the floor pan damage and the bondo in the corners. 

I saw the price dropping every so often on bookface the last 3 weeks.  Cant get it if you dont ask.  Kudos to them  for finding a very hungry fish.  Bigger props to you for not spending it and justifying it as bc Datsun.

5 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I saw the price dropping every so often on bookface the last 3 weeks.  Cant get it if you dont ask.  Kudos to them  for finding a very hungry fish.  Bigger props to you for not spending it and justifying it as bc Datsun.

My final offer was $1125, which I felt was more than fair considering the condition.  

• Like 2