86' 720 w* half an engine

Not sure how this site works yet, I'm new. I've got a 1986 Nissan pickup with a z24 but the heads been off for a while, not many miles on the engine though. I believe it's hydrolocked cause it won't even budge. My question is, is it worth it to bore out the z24 or should I look into getting a new engine? It's got 135,000 miles on it. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Was the hood closed or open to the weather? Cylinders are visually rusty? 

Hood was closed. The cylinder walls are rusty the piston heads are fine, i might have an old battery laying around i can try to crank it with... so i assume the engine is worth the work?

Well a little surface rust is fine but if it can't be turned over from the rust it's too much. It can be over bored and new over size pistons and rings put in... but you also have to find a head for it. As you bought it you already have it. Do you need a Z24 engine? or just thinking of selling it? Not really worth much in this condition to someone else.

• Thanks 1

How do I post pictures on here? I dunno how much rust is too much rust. I guess I don't NEED a z24 I just really wanted one, where I live it's pretty rare to see a 720 so I would rather just restore it to it's former glory and it's only gonna be a daily driver anyway. Again my question is, should I bore it out or get a new engine? I have everything to the engine except for the head. Wiring is fine for what I can see.

5 minutes ago, DaralSucksAtNissans said:

How do I post pictures on here? I dunno how much rust is too much rust. I guess I don't NEED a z24 I just really wanted one, where I live it's pretty rare to see a 720 so I would rather just restore it to it's former glory and it's only gonna be a daily driver anyway. Again my question is, should I bore it out or get a new engine? I have everything to the engine except for the head. Wiring is fine for what I can see.

If the only problem is the rust in the bore then sure... bore it out...

You'll need new pistons ....

No matter what the engine needs to come out.... 

If truly stuck flip it over and remove the crank and rod caps....

Then hammer the pistons to break them free.. piston rings will break but who cares.... as long as the rods and crank are good... machine shop can fix the rest....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaralSucksAtNissans said:

Yeah, It do. I guess since no one's said anything about a new engine (aside from a new z24) I'll just bore this one out, pretty sure the rings are stuck so it shouldn't be too bad..

Fixing this is probably easier....

Motor swapping isn't too hard but has it's own challenges...

Mostly comes down to your mechanical and electrical abilities and local emission rules...

I'd price everything out and decide from there.... I saw heads around 600 to 800.... and complete motor around 3000....

Not sure what the cost will be to recondition your block...

If you decide to motor swap I think the KA would be the easiest... 

But A 720 guy would be better to answer that.... I dont know about motor mounts or if you can use your transmission.... 

A good wrecked donor vehicle is a good way to go also....

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, DaralSucksAtNissans said:

Can I get decent torque out of a ka? Still need to be able to haul things but if I was gonna do a swap I'll probably be a V6. I know where I can get a 22re for 800 if that's a good choice

V6 will be a tight fit....

22re is a good motor but you will need the transmission and it's definitely not bolt in....

And the ka was the next motor nissan made after the z24...

They have 2.0 and 2.4l blocks...

Z24 is 95-135hp

Ka around 135-155

Torque

Z24 98-145

Ka 152... 

Just stock numbers pulled from the web.... so yes its and improvement...

• Thanks 1

I did one of the first KA24DE swaps into 720, and SR20det into 620. Wiring the 720 was twice as hard as the 620, the engine and chassis harnesses on 720 are far more complex than the 620. And I didn't use a can am box. If you don't have the ability or patience to interpret schematics and translate that into a dirty old harness, then don't try it. 

received-3176132166011520.jpg

Edited by Wildcat Walker
  • Like 1

KA will require a lot of EFI wiring and a high pressure fuel pump. ]2eDeYe on here sells custom engine and transmission mounts for this swap. For reliability the KA should be rebuilt. Or find a good running D21 Hardbody, low mileage and buy just for the engine and transmission.

Rebuilt replacement engine will likely require the old block and head cores which you don't have. Over bore and new over size pistons and rings, new rod and main bearings and gaskets and another head would be cheaper as you do the wrenching.

• Thanks 1

Most the D21's I see aren't being sold as parts trucks, don't see many at a junkyard either around here... Tons of inline 4's though so I could check through those but as for miles those are probably in the 2-300k range. Also my trucks a auto but if I can change that for under 2k I probably will...

9 hours ago, DaralSucksAtNissans said:

Most the D21's I see aren't being sold as parts trucks, don't see many at a junkyard either around here... Tons of inline 4's though so I could check through those but as for miles those are probably in the 2-300k range. Also my trucks a auto but if I can change that for under 2k I probably will...

Just find the cheapest d21 one with a good engine they dont need to know your intentions... the running  donor is the best price option.... 

You get everything you need and you know if it runs good or not...

Fyi I have seen high hp claims from people with KA engines... seems like you could easily double the hp if you wanted...

KA24E about 140 hp, the KA24DE about 150 hp, the VG30E about 165 hp. Either is almost a 50% increase in power over the Z24. Also perfect EFI starting and running.

You might swap your 720 body and box to the D21 chassis. The wheelbases must match, but note the wheels are about one inch wider apart per side.

EFi wiring is not hard. You just buy the harness from someone who makes one. Seriously though, if you have an entire harness, and can sit down to figure out what does what, building your own standalone harness can be done in a few days. Nail it to a sheet of plywood or drape it over the motor. Either way, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Would I repair half a rusty motor? Maybe. Sounds like it's missing a bunch of parts. Sourcing those parts may prove to be the hard part.

19 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just find the cheapest d21 one with a good engine they dont need to know your intentions... the running  donor is the best price option.... 

You get everything you need and you know if it runs good or not...

Fyi I have seen high hp claims from people with KA engines... seems like you could easily double the hp if you wanted...

Cheap d21 is out of my price range sadly, my truck was less than a cheap d21 which was very surprising. But if you know any d21's or anyone that owns a d21 for sale I may be interested... Sorry if I seem rude...