Drivers side - No headlights?

jagman

On my 720 on the drivers side I have a dim outer headlamp and no inner light.  I have checked fuses (OK) and have visually checked the loom.  I have only 10 volts to the outer lamp.  Are there two connections in the headlight switch one for left and the other right?  Is there a ground wire for each side? If so where is it?  Thanks for your expertise!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/9/2023 at 8:46 AM, jagman said:

Do a search, this is a common problem.  That switch is no longer available.  Try electric contact cleaner inside the multi-switch.

I have only 10 volts to the outer lamp.             You knew this, but that is causing your dim light.

Are there two connections in the headlight switch one for left and the other right?            NO, there are like 13 of em...maybe not.  The multi-switch has, I think, 6 connections....both highs, both lows, and the running lights.  They are inside the column linked to the turn-signal arm.  The wring is hot all the way thru the switch, to the lights (I think), to a relay, that completes the ground.  Don't quote me on that....

Is there a ground wire for each side?             I don't think so....if you do a search, there are wring diagrams listed....but this is not ur problem. 

The problem, is the multi-switch inside the column.  I had the problem, for awhile, on the driver's side.  I now have a toggle switch for the running lights.  Those were separate problems.  Once was fixed w/spray and the other not.

What did you do exactly? This comes up from time to time and I suggest electrical contact cleaner. Did you take the switch apart? From the outside it seems they use some sort of grease that dries out or gets dirty. Some headlights take a few seconds to come on some just stop working.

Hi Mike,   I used some electronics cleaner on the contact points and turned the switch multiple times while spraying the cleaner. No disassembly required.  Not associated with the electrical problem - The truck began surging going uphill and sometimes downhill.  It was almost like it was getting too much fuel and it was dying except that the problem would start when Iet up on the gas.  I had to be towed for the first time.

Well that's what I always recommend, good.

What year 720. (should put this in your profile it saves a lot of questions later)

If you have never changed your fuel filter, do that now. It's cheap and if that doesn't help... no harm done.

Mike, The garage I was towed to changed the fuel filter (original1985)  and it runs just fine.  Great advice and now I know where it is!