Datdadb210

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

p6WijLD.jpg

And the same as the B-210.

S30 struts are angled differently and probably why the stance was like that. 240/260/280z are no good for this. The B-210 and all other Datsuns are 100 and could interchange but may have no advantage. Usually 280zx struts are swapped but there more to it than that. A 15/16" master cylinder should be used. Get a '79-'81 280zx master, bolts right onto your booster.

280zx struts. Massive caliper (best to use 14" rims) and a large vented rotor. JSWD92k.jpg

There is a way to make the vehicle height adjustable for about $25 rather than hundreds for coil overs that get used once to set the height and then are just along for the ride. Using just and angle grinder and a few wrenches. Too long to rite out if you aren't interested.

These are just a mm smaller than the 280zx and are from a 81-'84 Maxima. They're on my '76 710. These are probably cheaper at wrecking yards as anything Z car doubles the price.

iu2VvTA.jpg

280ZX struts/brakes are getting very hard to find and on the open market are demanding $300-400 a pair.

240Z struts do not have any special brake upgrade application so you should be able to find 240Z or 280Z struts fairly cheap. You can then do basic Toyota caliper upgrades for larger calipers.

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Kevin, aren't the S30 strut spindle angle different than all other Datsuns?

Yes, the Z car struts have a different camber angle, which creates a heavy negative camber situation, as the OP mentioned. 

The 280ZX camber angle matches the 510, the 610 (maybe 710 Mike?) & from what I have heard, matches the B210.

That said, yes, you can use the 280ZX struts on a B210, but I think you need to swap the spring perches OR go to coilover (just like the 510).

Actually only the S30 are different as far as I know. All other Datsuns are 100 strut tube to spindle angle. TJ, I have Maxima struts on my 710 but I do have a set of ready to install '81 280zx front struts. Remember when the new Camaro came out and was supposed to have the same Corvette engine? Well they stuck a different cam in it to knock the HP down slightly as they didn't want the Camaro on the same footing as the flagship Corvette. Well I think it's the same with the Maxima/ 280zx. Both are large heavy cars with inline sixs. Can't have the Maxima using 280zx brakes can we?  so the rotor is like a mm smaller diameter and the caliper and pads different shape. 

Yes in a nutshell trim the bottom spring perch off grind down the old weld on the 280zx strut, install the cut off B-210 spring perch, coil spring and top hat on top. Support the spring perch on split collars. Split collars are about $20. Use a hydraulic jack to compress the coil spring on the perch and tighten the split collar below it. It'll take several tries but the ride height can be set with a bit of work and you're done. Lowering, and adjustability, although who adjusts their ride height once it's set. Coil overs are a waste of money for something that just sits there along for the ride.

Zym2fxc.jpg

0VoENXE.jpg

Above is my wife's 710 strut that I made adjustable and renewed the damper oil. I didn't want it too firm.

Options:

1/ You can calculate the spring rate you want and cut the coil to stiffen it before installing. I suppose you can do it after installation as well. I increased my 710 coils stiffness by 50%. Or buy spring$

2/ If the struts have the original factory oil bath dampers (probably soft and/or ineffective by now) you can empty the old hydraulic fluid out and replace with higher viscosity motorcycle fork oil. I did my Maxima struts with Bellray 20w fork oil.  Thicker oil is harder to push through the damper's valves and increases the firmness. Or buy expensive strut insert$

8 hours ago, yenpit said:

Yes, the Z car struts have a different camber angle, which creates a heavy negative camber situation, as the OP mentioned. 

The 280ZX camber angle matches the 510, the 610 (maybe 710 Mike?) & from what I have heard, matches the B210.

That said, yes, you can use the 280ZX struts on a B210, but I think you need to swap the spring perches OR go to coilover (just like the 510).

You just swap the spring perches and reuse the top hat, if you don't want to weld just cut off the B210 spring perch carefully set within/on top of the 280ZX spring perch and trim it a bit to clear the inside of the strut tower. Not much too it.

You cut down and reuse the 280zx top hat if going coilover and just use the split collar.  I've done both methods at one point and realistically the result was about the same.

The B210 master cylinder can be kept and works fine, it will just be a bit more travel/mushier. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

You just swap the spring perches and reuse the top hat, if you don't want to weld just cut off the B210 spring perch carefully set within/on top of the 280ZX spring perch and trim it a bit to clear the inside of the strut tower. Not much too it.

You cut down and reuse the 280zx top hat if going coilover and just use the split collar.  I've done both methods at one point and realistically the result was about the same.

The B210 master cylinder can be kept and works fine, it will just be a bit more travel/mushier. 

I "test fit" the 510 T3 upper adjustable camber plates on a 610, would work fine!  Wonder if you can use same 510 adjustable camber plates on a B210?

Yes, I built one 510 with ZX struts, swapped over 510 lower spring perch & used the "split collar" method to support the perch (did not have easy access to a welder at that time!), worked just fine!  Also, same car, just used the stock 510 coil spring & top hat!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, yenpit said:

I "test fit" the 510 T3 upper adjustable camber plates on a 610, would work fine!  Wonder if you can use same 510 adjustable camber plates on a B210?

Yes, I built one 510 with ZX struts, swapped over 510 lower spring perch & used the "split collar" method to support the perch (did not have easy access to a welder at that time!), worked just fine!  Also, same car, just used the stock 510 coil spring & top hat!

The 510 camber plates work fine on a B210. I test fit mine (one side) at one point on ZX struts with coilovers just to see if I wanted to do the full setup, ended up not going through with it mostly because I didn't see it being enough of a benefit for the hassle. I still have the camber plates so they will likely end up on my 510 at some point.  

As far as I can tell the 510 suspension upgrade goodies all fit the B210. I've got ZX struts on both the B210 and the 510 and one spare set as backup. 

• Like 1