I gotta beater nvm the heater

I’m new here. I purchased this 1993 Nissan pickup months ago. I drove it home & let it sit. Now I can’t get it to start. It is not the original motor in it. It has a Nissan Z motor in it. The numbers I have found down below plug 3 & 4 say Z22 04987. Now what motor this was originally out of, I haven’t a clue. I want to make it run again. I drove it all the way to my house with zero issues. It has sat a few months. Please be kind I’m just a girl trying to do something with my time. Everybody starts somewhere. Yes this is exactly how it looked; I know the breather is missing. I’ll scavenge a junkyard for some stuff but like I said I don’t know the original type of vehicle the motor was in. I just need suggestions & thanks in advance all!

C61AECE9-ACD7-405D-8CCE-58DC23696E4C.jpeg

27D2CA18-B430-4EAB-A6D9-77278809072C.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Kelly and welcome to Ratsun. Lets try to get this 'gem' running.

'93 D21 Hardbody would have had an EFI KA24E engine but the Z series also fit your transmission so this is a very possible swap. Some things had to be changed for this to work though.

The '81-'82 720 trucks were the only Z22 with a carburetor. BTW that is not the stock carburetor. It's a Weber 32/36. (which is fine)

See those two flaps on the top of the carburetor? hold them open and have someone pump the gas several times while you look down into it. What you should see is a squirt of fuel. Does it do this?

Also when you release that flap do they close? or stay part open like the picture???

Post some pictures of the rest of your Hardbody.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the circus.

I think this is the first time I've seen a Z22 in a Hardbody.

Another question is: Does it crank and not start, or does it not even crank?

The silver cylindrical thing next to the carb, is that a fuel filter or fuel pump?

Kelmo

(The other Kelly)

• Thanks 1

'86-'89 D21 had Z24. Yeah never seen a KA swapped for a Z series engine, usually the other way.

The vacuum advance is connected wrong but can fix later.

Looks like the original EFI filter but the fuel pump must have been changed to a low pressure one to work with the carburetor. As stated it ran and drove so everything was working just fine.

• Thanks 1

The fuel pump got me to thinking. Wouldn't a 93 have the pump in the tank? I can't remember for sure. A Z22 motor could have been either a mechanical pump or external electric pump. I just can't remember where that split took place.

• Thanks 1

Yup to the high pressure in tank pump. That may be still there but not used. The Weber would never handle 37PSI. Must have an after market or 720 electric pump. I've seen Z22s with mechanical pumps but they wouldn't have power steering. Z24 and most Z22 had a cover plate over the pump arm hole. You can see it in that picture.

• Thanks 1
On 3/3/2023 at 6:45 PM, datzenmike said:

See those two flaps on the top of the carburetor? Yes I covered the choke and tried to pressurize it a bit. I can crank it after I mess with a carburetor quite a bit & it wants to die. 

hold them open and have someone pump the gas several times while you look down into it. What you should see is a squirt of fuel. Does it do this?  Yes it did spit a little fuel 

Also when you release that flap do they close? or stay part open like the picture??? The previous owners had it zip tied to hold it in that position. I’ve removed the zip tie and I’m going to order a few things. Plug wires, distributor, coil. (Any other suggestions) It sat for a very long time. My dad told me about the carburetor trick that you had mentioned as well. He’s really old & does not work on anything so I have to figure it out. I’m so glad y’all are helping. 

thank you for the welcome and the replies everyone 

Also idk if I mentioned it- the starter is on a toggle switch 😆 so I have to fiddle with that as well. It really is a gem (note the sarcasm)

Post some pictures of the rest of your Hardbody. I’m on the road as I mentioned I drive a semi truck for a living but when I get home I will take some pictures. It’s just an old truck but I really like it. It’s kindda nostalgic for me. Makes me think of when I was a teenager I guess. 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, KELMO said:

Welcome to the circus.

I think this is the first time I've seen a Z22 in a Hardbody.

Another question is: Does it crank and not start, or does it not even crank?

The silver cylindrical thing next to the carb, is that a fuel filter or fuel pump?

Kelmo

(The other Kelly)

It does crank I can even start it just won’t stay running. I do have to mess with the carburetor to start it tho. Thank you for the welcome

Toggle switch to start, gotta mess with the carb to get it to start...this thing fits right in here.😁

It wants to die. Does it or do you have to keep messing with the carb to keep it running?

Maybe the drive shook something loose in the tank and the line is clogged. If messing with the carb keeps it running, then you are probably getting fuel.

It starts, so I would presume you have spark. From the pics posted, you have air.

When you drove it home, did it stumble or want to die when you let off of the gas?

I'm just spitballing here. There are a whole lot of folks around here who are way smarter than me (OK, almost all of them).

27D2CA18-B430-4EAB-A6D9-77278809072C.jpeg

When the engine is cold, step on the gas several times. Those two flaps on the top of the carburetor should snap closed. Do they???

You sure that's a Z22????? All Z22s came with 8 spark plugs. So that is either an '80 Z20 car engine, or it has an '80 Z20 car head on it. As you can see the distributor has missing wires. This is fine, that will work.

The distributor vacuum advance hose should go to a port on the base of the carburetor and NOT to the intake where that is. Make sure you seal that manifold fitting so there is no leak.

I’ll be sure to up date you guys as soon as I get home off the road. I can take a picture of the numbers under plug 3 & 4 if ya want. I’m sure I typed the numbers correctly. I’ll get a close up and different angles for y’all too. Im excited just thinkin’ we might get it goin’ again! Thanks guys 😀

• 4 weeks later...

An easy and simple trick is to use starting fluid. If the engine runs for a moment on the starting fluid, then dies, you have a fuel supply issue. If it doesn't run at all, you have an ignition ( spark ) issue.