Line fitting wrench size for brakes and clutch

SWFL

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good line wrench will help a lot. If they won't break free, try smacking the line wrench with the handle of another big wrench. The shock of the metal on metal is usually enough to crack it free.

If it still won't budge, try heating the nut with a handheld torch. Not too hot, just enough to get some heat into it. And be careful of the stuff around the torch. DOn't want to catch anything on fire. You can use a sheet of aluminum to protect the surrounding things from getting burned.

Worst and last case, use a vise grips. This usually ruins the nut, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 1

I like the old Snap In Half ones with the line on the inside of the hex part. The old made in the USA, non polished, Crapman ones were decent for the money.

My go to if I don't have a line wrench, is a large pair of USA made Vise Grips, preferably old worn ones that have the smooth tips. Crank them on the tip as tight as humanly possible, with both hands, and then use your palm or a hammer to strike the Vice Grips to jar the fitting loose. I hate to do hack work and jack up fasteners.

Edited by SWFL
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Danalive said:

i think theyre all 10mm, i had some cheap line wrenchs but they still rounded everything, some penetrating flud and a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Visegrip-4Lw-Locking-Wrench/dp/B00004SBBE have done me well on all my brake and clutch nuts that havent been touched in 20+ years 

These ^^^, not regular vice grips.