1978 620 factory yellow paint.

SWFL

Has anyone tried finding something off the shelf that's close to the factory yellow? I don't have a paint code, as the body labels are missing or painted over. 

My 620 needs some rust repair and 2 panels painted. I'm not looking for perfect, just something close for now. I'll deal with the body properly later.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This almost looks TAN than yellow. Perception of color depends on the camera and every stage getting it onto your computer screen and the monitor itself. Most of all, color depends on the light used to see the sample in. Our eyes see red as black if the light is poor and all colors are shifted by the colors present and missing in the light used to view it. The only way to 'see' the true color is to view it in sunlight, the light out eyes evolved to see in. Using artificial light it must be in the 5,000-5,5000 Kelvin range.

I worked for a printing company and to check the color a special viewing booth was used so that Coke Red that was printed was identical to the Coke Red exemplar.

I would guess my 710 is Mellow Yellow 102 and will try to go out today and look at the paint code sticker.

rTsIUKu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:02 PM, SWFL said:

If it's mellow yellow, does anyone know of an off the shelf spray or oil based industrial paint that's fairly close?

Some Finishmaster & other independent AUTOMOTIVE paint stores will take a factory paint code & mix up an aerosol can for you.  Not cheap like off the shelf Duplicolor cans at the store, but should be correct, although yellows fade with UV sun!