What would the trim level be on this? I've been reading different things and getting different answers

thatslowranger

Hello! I am new to this forum, I picked up 1984 Nissan 720 that has pretty much every option for $300.
It has the 2.4l Z24 engine, automatic transmission, power windows, power locks, sunroof, cruise ctrl, a clock and tach, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I've had some people say its a DX and some people say its a ST, I would just like to figure out exactly what it is

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look on the engine tag, passenger side inner fender below the hood hinge. Third row down MODEL. After the 720 ? K U. K is automatic, U is non California (emissions) If the first digit after the 720 is S it's a standard model, if J it's a GL model, if no letter then it's a DX. 

buF8TkE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is the ST type. Here is a link telling you the different types and what came on them.I have a 85 deluxe and I put a speedo with a clock and another temp gauge but kept the speedo cause I want to have the true miles on it.On the speedometer that has the clock,the plastic lens is different cause it has a hole in it for the clock dial.I had to drill a hole in mine for the clock adjuster hole.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_Truck

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

The article has some inaccuracies, as in, plenty of ST's didn't have power windows or door locks.  I suppose, someone could have ordered the ST package minus the power windows/locks, but seems that would be a custom order and would take a while to get.

The problem is, the vehicle is now some 40 years old, any number of things could have been changed/added to the vehicle over those years, especially in recent times.  

This is the engine room tag from my ST.  

image.png.93f61c95686c8acce366281b15b94ca6.png

Here's the dealer sticker from someone's ST.  

325823988_6095365620521450_2019368658305148353_n.jpg

The L after the 720 is an ST.

Power windows and power door locks were only available from Jan '84 or half way through the '84 model year and only on the King Cab. Power door locks may also have been available on the Cab/Chassis trucks same year.

Sun roof available all years but only on the King Cab.

You can't convert roll up to power windows, at least not easily. The inner door skin that holds everything is different. Best to swap the entire door.

My 85 720 4x4 Deluxe didn't come with a passenger mirror,I bought one from Nissan and drilled the holes and used Nissan's plastic inserts.Nissan has so many hidden things.Probably ran out of parts and didn't wait to put them on.Had dead lines to meet.The company I started with before Kodak bought them out was Polychrome.We make printing plates.We had a new Printing plate line installed.Guess what happened.We sent some customers printing plates with no coating on the aluminum.Shit Happens.When cell phones first came out.Someone in packaging somehow put their phone down on a ordered that was package and the customer called and said they had a cell phone in there package.I could go on and on.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

When I was young there was a myth that on a Friday night (almost always a lot of drinking) at GM there was a 3 door Nova made. (pretty unbelievable it wouldn't get noticed) Four door on one side and two door on the other. It apparently got sold (even more unbelievable) and GM found out and paid the owner big bucks to buy it back.

Another that may be true was that a lot of fasteners nut bolts and such fall on the ground and get swept up. One of the workers asked if he could collect them and take home. Ok the boss says. He welded a tray into the top of a 45 gallon barrel and put in 2"-3" of fasteners, got the paperwork and wheeled it out to the parking lot. The guards checked and sure enough the barrel was full to the rim with discarded fasteners. Under the fasteners was a new 409 engine.

On the ST,it was a option to get different stuff on it,also dealers would add stuff to different models,like roles bars,the part that goes on the front bumper,power windows,moon roofs and so on.Like I bought a new 2010 GMC Acadia,I asked about a Bose stereo and he said I would have to get the SLT model,my SL model didn't come with it and no ash tray.My new 2004 Toyota Tundra came with the dual Borla Exhaust system,but it was extra.Some duals came out the back,some came out the side.Some had no Borla's.Now when you want a 720 exhaust you have to piece it together,and the hangars won't work on some of it.Best to take it and have it done by the pro's than trying to run all over looking.Plus don't have to put that cat on here.Here is my cat...

100_9761.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins