SWFL

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine from Ralley lights

But Ebay might have NOS ones out there.

I have Cibies which the housing were made in Belguim ,also some the Hellas were German or maybe Hungarian. the Hella Bulbs were India I think for soem reason Germans want to save the earth and stop using certain chemicals for the manufacture. So I just buy the Slyvania bulbs which by chance were German Oshams I think.

I had some Machels also on my Jeep but I didnt run a relay and the switch burn up over time

Delta Light are American so it says.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-01-1139-50X-Headlight-Replaceable-Classic/dp/B00BQVEFU8

There alot of clones made in India for the housings.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Lighting has come a long way in the last 40-50 years why not take advantage of this? The original lamps are like carrying a candle. Your safety and that of others is totally dependent on what you see at night. You can easily out run your reaction time at 30MPH and on the highway with oncoming traffic you have to have low beams on. At that speed by the time you see something on the road there is barely enough time to let off on the gas. In fact most night driving is on faith that there is nothing on the road ahead.

Halogen lamps appeared in the late '70s but not on all cars. At least this was a step in the right direction.

I haven't messed with SAE sized E Codes for around 20 years. Seems like there's a lot of low quality looking clones out now. I had noticed that Cibies were always a bit lower quality, especially with the glue for the lens to the bulb. Their pencil beam H-1 high beams did out perform the gold standard Hellas, but the Cibie was worse than the Hella for low beams. Sadly the quality of Hellas was slipping then, as you could tell the housings were brown flash painted and thinner, compared to the thicker gray painted housings with the red silicone bulb caps.

So far, I haven't been able to find an inexpensive 5.75" hi and low beam 4 light H-4 & H-1 set, just 4 hi/low H-4 bulb light sets.

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Lighting has come a long way in the last 40-50 years why not take advantage of this? The original lamps are like carrying a candle. Your safety and that of others is totally dependent on what you see at night. You can easily out run your reaction time at 30MPH and on the highway with oncoming traffic you have to have low beams on. At that speed by the time you see something on the road there is barely enough time to let off on the gas. In fact most night driving is on faith that there is nothing on the road ahead.

Halogen lamps appeared in the late '70s but not on all cars. At least this was a step in the right direction.

I plan to, I was just hoping to find some Kyoto or Stanley lights for the European LHD market, as the housings are different on the RHD ones.

Back in the day I used to run 55/100 watt bulbs and homemade harnesses made from 10ga wire. 

I switched to projector 5 3/4 HID lamps. The low beam have a sharp cut off 'fence' so you don't blind oncoming traffic and only lights from just above your knees and down. High beams are full beam no cut off. I think 5,500 k (equivalent to sunlight temperature) so intense white light not the 'yellow' of halogen so grass looks GREEN. HID are basically arc welders in a gas filled bulb.  

mUKI084.jpg

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I switched to projector 5 3/4 HID lamps. The low beam have a sharp cut off 'fence' so you don't blind oncoming traffic and only lights from just above your knees and down. High beams are full beam no cut off. I think 5,500 k (equivalent to sunlight temperature) so intense white light not the 'yellow' of halogen so grass looks GREEN. HID are basically arc welders in a gas filled bulb.  

Aftermarket, or BMW OE lights?