Vintage 1960's mystery fender mirror id?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I knew the car was a Corvair, but I didn't want to bias the replies for the mirror.

What I'm looking for is the type of mirror on the fender. If you look closely at it, it's not the same as the fender mirrors shown on the blue Corvair picture above. Those are standard GM mirrors. The mirror in the original post may or may not be a GM part. Most likely it is not. Most likely it is a Japanese mirror attached to the American import (Corvair) to make it legal for use in Japan. I'm not sure if it is a standard Datsun (or Honda or other Japanese auto) mirror or a Japanese aftermarket mirror. It would have been produced in the early to mid 1960's

• Haha 1

I was so amazed to see a Corvair I lost my head. Fender mirrors weren't popular in N Am so it's unlikely it's factory anyway and it's also probably a door mount one put out on the fender so the mirror curvature won't be best. I looked through pages of '50s/'60s mirrors. The picture is blurry but looks like it's hooded at the top. No luck.

• Like 1

Hehe. Well, the Corvair in the OP picture was used in Japan - hence the need for fender mirrors. That's why I think the mirror shown is of Japanese make. I'm assuming it was a stock fender mirror that any dealership in Japan could have simply pulled off the shelf and attached to this American import, so it is most likely a major car manufacturer like Datsun or Honda, etc. But possibly (less likely), an aftermarket mirror.

If this mirror is unknown to anyone here, could anyone suggest a website that would have good chance at identifying a vintage Japanese mirror like this from the 1960's?

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2023 at 11:33 AM, Accessory fanatic said:

Anyone out there happen to know what manufacturer/model this fender mirror is? It is shown on an American car used in Japan in the early to mid 1960's but may or may not be a Japanese part to make the car street legal there. Thanks for any info you can pass along.

51531025885_fe3436394c.jpg

I ordered a 1964 Corvair while I was in the process of returning to USA from Japan. Among the options was Right hand drive and metric instrument calibration.  This may well be a GM option possibly dealer installed.? There are many unusual configurations of GM produced vehicles than you can count.  I wonder what the delivering dealer in Chetenne WY would have thought of a right hand drive metric Corvair,