My friend Marty's new truck

datsunfreak

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank yo so much for these! You rule! Love those wheels too with that rusty patina. ZING!

It appears they removed the heater box and cut the shelf it was sitting on to fit that L16 in there. And what is going on with the brake master cylinder? What is that box about?

Looking at this photo I am guessing they moved the heater box inside the cab. Unless trucks were different than the cars?

IMG00656.jpg

Its a 58? interesting.

I was thinking that 1959 was the first year these were imported to the US.

1958 was the first official year, but the rumor is they only imported a handful that year. Like less than 50. The truck and car they were selling at the time were shown at the '58 L.A. Auto Show, and I've heard that most/all of the '58s were sold at that show.

Heck, Nissan USA didn't officially open until 1960. :D

I believe this is a Japanese '57 model...

Datsun220truck.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak

If this is really a 58 it could have been brought in from another country. Or it might be the 58 show display. In the US the importer that brought them over sold 10 59s and a old guy I ran into said he owned a 59 that was one of 22 shipped up from Brazil in the mid 60s.

Check out the stamped tag in the engine bay. That should confirm the year.

I like the fact that taking out the heater let the engine sit back more, for balance, but when I do a swap I think I will have to move the mounts forward and run a slimmer water pump and radiator with electric fans. So it can be put back to stock easier.

Looking at this engine bay had me wondering if I don't have the original brake MC any more. Mine is a metal cup like the clutch m/c but with two little prongs (is that a built in brake light switch?). But then I looked up a few more engine bays, and I am wondering if the trucks had the Box m/c or if it is just the pre 59's?

Mine

IMG_5339.jpg

Other sedans

1000engine.jpg

1958_Datsun_P210_Engine_1-1.jpg

100_0144.jpg

Edited by fisch