Datsun 320 fender removal?

PVmX5vp.jpg

Is there any hidden bolts i'm missing? I've removed tons of bolts so far and the fender is still solid on the truck. I have yet to remove these bolts as it seems they just spin. So i'm assuming there are nuts on the back side of the bolts however I'm not sure how I would gain access to them?

jHyAAdz.jpg

Side note, check out this cool wrench I found in the floorboard of the truck. Made in West Germany!

inOfoIH.jpg

Ps5jyQ0.jpg

If anyone wants to follow along with my build I just released episode 2! I'm putting this 320 cab on a supercharged xterra frame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXk91bV14Fw

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt the bolts in the inner fender use removable nuts, but I'm not positive. I never had a fender off of any of the 320s I owned. If the bolts is spinning, it's possible that the weld nut broke free from being rusted. If that's the case, drill the bolt down the center and break off the head.

Anyone here know about those bolts? @wayno@320 Newb@difrangia

the cab is going on this supercharged xterra frame.

you can follow along here if you'd like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXk91bV14Fw

ZJju0yP.jpg

the cab is ready to come off now, if anyone in the future is reading this i suggest using a ratchet and tightening these bolts until they break. using an impact will knock the nut inside that enclosed space loose(i believe they're all poorly tacked welded) and youll have to drill or cut the bolt out which is not easy given it's location. the side dash bolts are the same way. i had to cut one side dash bolt out as the nut inside the enclosed space broke loose and was just spinning.

6SIkkei.jpg

y6EOvY4.jpg

happen to know how the inner shaft going into the steering box comes out? looking at the picture now i think it maybe one of those top bolts that hold it in. worth asking though. i did all this work today in 20 degree weather so i was a little all over the place lol.

v9dgvBp.jpg

I recently took the fenders off a U320, some of the bolts did not come out for the former owner, so I drilled out the holes larger and welded flange type nuts in the holes, it worked fine, sorry but I did not take photos of how I welded them in, here is a photo of a section I replaced in the pillar with a welded in nut.

014.jpg.72e58ec8a03fba40b6a61ac0f0bb06d2.jpg

It is not easy to get that shaft out of the steering gear box and almost impossible to get back together correctly, you should remove the steering gear box from the frame, or if you know your going to scrap it just cut the shaft.

• Like 1

Yeah, the box comes out the front with the column attached. I attempted to disassemble the original box once, but ended up cutting the shaft instead.

FYI - if you want to re-use the inside the cab portion of the column, check out how I modified my 320 column to be supported at the firewall, and used with a joint to different steering box. Here;s the thread where the column is modified -