63A trans (not that kind of trans.)

russaroll

Does anybody have any secret techniques to getting the tail housing back on?  I'm trying to button up this trans rebuild and the tail housing is kicking my ass.  The FSM says it should be in 5th, but it doesn't really say what to do with the tail housing.  I've tried 5th, 4th, N, I'm beat and out of sillycone.     angryface.jpg  tiredface.jpg

You're suggestions will be attempted tomorrow. Right now it's beer:30.

Thank you

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All gears in the neutral positions. Might help to install the shifter into the striking rod and put the pin in. The other end of the striking rod has a finger sticking down called the striking lever.

I think they mean the shift lever should be full over in the 5th gate rotating the striking rod as far clockwise as possible but still in neutral. Until it meshes with the shift rods it will want to flop around so you'll have to hold it. Lower the tail and the striking lever has to slip into the neutral gate. 

R 2 4

NNN <<<<< here

1 3 5

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Russ, Im the guy that bought your 72 tan wagon. I need to know what the dog leg trans came out of so I can syncro it. it scrathes 1-2 shift and it has a leak where the case splits. I would appreciate your input please

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2023 at 2:02 PM, MR2PLUS said:

Russ, Im the guy that bought your 72 tan wagon. I need to know what the dog leg trans came out of so I can syncro it. it scrathes 1-2 shift and it has a leak where the case splits. I would appreciate your input please

On 11/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, datzenmike said:

Only two cars had the 63A fitted to an L20B. The '77-'79 S10 200sx had these if you bought a manual shift car. The other was the '78-'79 A10 HL510 but somewhat rare option. Both were identical to each other.

What he said.  I really couldn't tell you exactly where it came from.  I bought it off a buddy who just had it rebuilt.  It was one of the first things I replaced on the wagon as it had a sloppy 4 spd when I bought it. Sorry it took so long to respond, a PM might have been faster.  I hope you and that wagon are doing well. 

here is a link to where I bought the rebuild kit for my current trans, although I think they might be sold out.  You might be able to get part# from it or the website. 

On a side note Anybody know what size plug I need for the tailshaft?

On 1/21/2024 at 10:31 AM, russaroll said:

What he said.  I really couldn't tell you exactly where it came from.  I bought it off a buddy who just had it rebuilt.  It was one of the first things I replaced on the wagon as it had a sloppy 4 spd when I bought it. Sorry it took so long to respond, a PM might have been faster.  I hope you and that wagon are doing well. 

here is a link to where I bought the rebuild kit for my current trans, although I think they might be sold out.  You might be able to get part# from it or the website. 

Thank you for the info guys. 

On a side note Anybody know what size plug I need for the tailshaft?