adjuster screw on drum brakes seized

dat_sun720

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't hit with hammer. It's threaded inside like a bolt

Remove and grip adjuster wheel in a vice using wood to protect the 'star wheel' and use pipe wrench to turn adjuster body. Use lots of heat and cool suddenly with PB or WD-40 several times to shock it. Then really heat it and try to loosen, back and forth to get it moving.

Clean thoroughly and use an anti seize compound on threads and brake grease on sliding surfaces. Driving through deep water is unavoidable but neglect isn't. Shoes and pads should be inspected for wear and drums adjusted, if needed, every 6 months but probably this could be extended to yearly.

Also check the brake cable.Mine seized up and I bought Nissan's last driver side one for 85 king Cab 4x4.The adjuster was good.Nissan don't sell them any more.The cable was 75 bucks.The adjusters were about 35 bucks each.You have a driver and passenger one. I just found these on Ebay and looked up the part number and it says it's for a 80-82 Nissan 720.Do they look like your's.https://www.ebay.com/itm/274465251135 Here is a Nissan site also with the same part number.https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-adjuster-assy-rear-brake~41200-32200.html.There is one rating on the part,says it was 1/8 inch too long so he cut that off.Here is another site.https://www.ebay.com/itm/162907278152?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D241788%26meid%3Db547f08a0bde4ba0a836e76fdc3d5bf8%26pid%3D101111%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D274465251135%26itm%3D162907278152%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2563228.c101111.m2109#rwid.It's a gamble buying Asian parts.I've had some that worked and some that didn't last long.Just don't buy the windshield tank and pump,mine only lasted a short time.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • 3 weeks later...

This worked for me just the other day when I was certain my adjusters were not recoverable but I got them free. I removed adjuster from backing plate and submerged the thing in about a 1/4 in of kroil star side down overnight with a spray on the non-star side too. And then wrenched the hell out of them the next day til I got a tiny bit of movement. After that…you’re home free. It seems hopeless. But it’s true. You will get it. I bet a vice like datzenmike say is real nice. Any just the spray of the oil didn’t do much I really had to soak it.