Need help identifying cut wires on 1969 510 Wagon.

Mxvxc

Working on a ‘69 goon and the harness is cut up pretty bad. Have tried my best to go over all the diagrams that I have but having a little trouble as color on wires doesn’t always match up and unsure of where these wires are actually supposed to terminate. The wires in question are both red with black and run with the wiper motor loom. They were cut and one has ignition on power. Not sure if it’s supposed to be looped or where the heck it goes. For clarity, the two red/black wires were wrapped from factory with the wiper harness and “T” off on their own wrapped leg just before the wiper motor.7CF5F53F-1846-4337-BAFB-3FC9F539A58F.thumb.jpeg.71a6e2afc2b954c31d25be94bed289f0.jpeg  Appreciate the help!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those should be the reverse light circuit as mentioned,  but they route differently depending if auto or manual.  Manual go straight to the switch in the transmission.  Auto connect up to the inhibitor s/w, but I don't know the exact location for that in the car.

If yours is auto, they may go straight to the trans as well, I'm just not certain as I have never had an auto.

Edited by iceman510

After April '71 the 3N71B automatic was used and the inhibit switch is on the right side of the transmission where the floor shift rod connects. Prior to that two or possibly three Borg Warner automatics were used and the inhibitor switch was likely on the left side. The inhibit switch prevents starts unless in park or neutral. The reverse light switch is usually integrated into this. Manuals simply had a switch on the lower right side of the body of the transmission.

Can't understand why these wires would be cut. See if your reverse lights work. If they do seal these wires off so they don't cause any problems. If they don't better look into this.

I see you have a 620 truck throttle cable?

On 8/19/2022 at 6:06 AM, datzenmike said:

After April '71 the 3N71B automatic was used and the inhibit switch is on the right side of the transmission where the floor shift rod connects. Prior to that two or possibly three Borg Warner automatics were used and the inhibitor switch was likely on the left side. The inhibit switch prevents starts unless in park or neutral. The reverse light switch is usually integrated into this. Manuals simply had a switch on the lower right side of the body of the transmission.

Can't understand why these wires would be cut. See if your reverse lights work. If they do seal these wires off so they don't cause any problems. If they don't better look into this.

I see you have a 620 truck throttle cable?

The car is a manual that currently has a 5 speed from an early 80s wagon. Reverse lights are not hooked up. No wires leading down to it. The wiring was completely destroyed by previous owner on a failed motor swap. So there is plenty missing that I’ve pieces together and figured out. These wires are the last unknown. So as it sits, if I ran the wires to the reverse switch on the Tranny, that should make some magic happen and not just light the car on fire? (Drastic humor added for effect) 

* The throttle cable was added for length as there is now a single cam KA in the car. 

• 3 weeks later...

I might have a decent 1969 Wagon wiring harness.  There are three sections.........engine compartment, dash & tail.  The dash & tail are Wagon only.........the engine compartment harness MIGHT be same as Sedan.........??  The engine compartment harness is different between manual & automatic.  The 1969 stands on it own.........1968 is different & 1970-1972 is different.

First thing is go buy the hand drawn, printed & laminated wiring diagram from Paolo at paolo@cedarcomm.com.  If you have the sweeper speedo cluster (not the round 70-72) & the round rear sidemarkers, then you need to order for the 1969 Wagon (not the Sedan).  He also drew up both manual trans & automatic trans.........the wiring IS different!  If your car was originally an automatic, but converted to manual, then I would suggest buying the automatic schematic........or buy both!  None of the aftermarket wiring schematics/diagrams ie Haynes, Chilton's, Clymers etc are 100% correct for our USA spec Datsun's.  I bought a complete set of 68-72 510 Sedan & Wagon!

The reverse switch wiring was built in to the neutral safety switch on the automatics, so if the car was originally an automatic, you would need to wire up the reverse switch wiring yourself.  The manual cars had conventional reverse switch wiring on the right side of the trans tunnel.

• Like 1