Transfer case rebuilding tutorial

Good day,

Ratsun has been acting odd these past few. I'm neither sure this will post nor confident, I will be notified if anyone responds.

I seek an additional step by step guide or video, for rebuilding a Datsun/Nissan 4wd drive transfer case. The divorced transfer case found in 1984-1986 720's with a Z24, Z24S, or Z24i. It is very likely, the same transfer case was employed in early (1986.5/1987) D21's, but I have not confirmed.

So far, youtube and google have let me down for rebuilding a Nissan 720 transfer case, removing and replacing information is abundant.

I have the service manual, which lays it out and progress will continue, just looking for options. The transfer case rebuild kit came without instructions.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The T 100 divorced transfer case was used on all '80-'86.5 720 trucks with the L20B, Z22 and Z24 engines.

The next gen truck D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinder used a 71C transmission with an integral transfer case on the rear of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, datzenmike said:

The T 100 divorced transfer case was used on all '80-'86.5 720 trucks with the L20B, Z22 and Z24 engines.

The next gen truck D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinder used a 71C transmission with an integral transfer case on the rear of it.

Thank you for squaring me away on the case differences, do you know of a "T-100 rebuild for Dummies" Youtube, DVD, or book. The shop manual has the information, but step by steps are nice.

Rebuild kits were available the last time I looked but it is best if you could pick up a spare for a rebuild. Once you pull it apart you can pull all the numbers off the seals and bearings and order new Japanese rather than get whatever comes in the "kit". I usually get screwed with substandard parts in kits.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought my 5 speed and 2 transfer cases...previous owner need some from one..some from the other but will make 1 out of the 2.  Will have to order a seal kit from the states as nothing found locally down under.

Now a service manual would be awesome.