Fuel sending unit?

JacobBieg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Nissan.  If discontinued, many of the various Datsun tank units are the same "unit" (I think most of the seals & lock rings are the same.....), but the long arm is of different lengths & bends.  I just compared a 510 Sedan vs a 510 Wagon & they can be modified to work.  The 240Z unit is still available NEW from Nissan & other suppliers.

Maybe somebody will chime in with THE answer, otherwise you will need to do some footwork/research.  I understand that pulling your old unit disables the car, but that's what you will need to do, if nobody has the answer!  Pull it & post some pics!

18 hours ago, JacobBieg said:

My Sending unit for my 79 210 recently crapped the bed, does anyone know where I can get a new one?

Gauge stopped working???

1/ If the temperature gauge also does not work this might be the voltage regulator that powers them both.

2/ The tank is exposed to the elements and corrosion is a concern. Can you see and access the sender wire? If you can get at it, ground it with the ignition on and if the gauge reads FULL everything back to, and the gauge, are fine. If nothing happens could be the gauge.

3/ Is there a separate black ground wire? It may, or may not, have a separate ground and is grounded through the tank. Again provide a good ground t the black wire (if it has one) or the tank. If the gauge begins working then the ground is bad. If the gauge still fails to work then pretty much it's the sender.

Best to know before replacing something that won't fix the problem.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:02 PM, yenpit said:

Try Nissan.  If discontinued, many of the various Datsun tank units are the same "unit" (I think most of the seals & lock rings are the same.....), but the long arm is of different lengths & bends.  I just compared a 510 Sedan vs a 510 Wagon & they can be modified to work.  The 240Z unit is still available NEW from Nissan & other suppliers.

Maybe somebody will chime in with THE answer, otherwise you will need to do some footwork/research.  I understand that pulling your old unit disables the car, but that's what you will need to do, if nobody has the answer!  Pull it & post some pics!

Yeah I pulled it and it went from finicky to not working at all so I might have to try the dealership and see if I can modify a different models one.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:48 PM, JacobBieg said:

So the sender has its own ground and from what I can tell its not the grounding or the power, its also not the gauge for sure. I got an ohm reading of 10 to 30 which doesn't seem right.

10 ohms or less is FULL

25* ohms is 3/4

37* ohms is 1/2

56* ohms is 1/4

80 ohms or more is EMPTY

* plus or minus

On 4/20/2022 at 12:22 AM, datzenmike said:

10 ohms or less is FULL

25* ohms is 3/4

37* ohms is 1/2

56* ohms is 1/4

80 ohms or more is EMPTY

* plus or minus

I saw that on another thread you commented on, which is actually why I took mine apart however when I measured the resistance it was reading both full and empty on the 10-30 ohm range but it started getting finnicky and then stopped working.