Aluminum valve cover

Stinky

I was looking at an '82 720 the other day...we were trying to buy it.  They guy hasn't called me back, I guess it fell through.  Anyways, I didn't look at the engine to see what size it was.  I assume that it was a Z24, but it has an Aluminum valve cover.  When was that used?  All I've ever seen was the black steel ones.

Edited by Stinky
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Z20 and Z22 through '83 car and '82 truck, were cast aluminum. The '83 and on Z20 and Z24 were stamped steel.

The '82 should have a Z22 and cast aluminum valve cover but either could have been swapped. Only way to know for sure is to look between the two pair of exhaust manifold pipes between the number 2 and 3 spark plugs. The engine size is stamped on the flat on the top edge of the block...

Q9xYbRS.jpg

https://ratsun.net/profile/9-datzenmike/?tab=activity

On my profile page beside Activity to the right is About Me. Click on that. It's about my starting out when I was 13 or 14 and knew nothing but wanted everything. That was almost 60 years ago so lots of things learned since then. 

Thanks,  at the time, I assumed that it was a Z24....then started thinking about it.  I coulda easily looked at the sticker and/or block.  Supposedly it is/was bad.  They said they wanted to hang on to it and that they have a "new" motor for it.  It is a rust-bucket, but a former family member bought it new.

The neoprene ('rubber') ones should work on the earlier covers. The cast cover bolts are longer than the stamped. Definitely rub oil or grease on both sides of a cork gasket. They peel off easier and can be saved and reused longer. Not a fan of them.

• Like 1

The rubber ones absolutely do not work with the aluminum valves covers unless you like oil leaking everywhere. I have tried to make them work, they don't. There is a channel in the steel covers that hold the gasket in place. 

• Like 1