Donor trucks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too much.

If 4 cylinder 2wd, you could swap engine/transmission with some work. Custom engine/transmission mounts, shorten driveshaft. If keeping EFI you would need a high pressure fuel pump and wire the EFI into the '77 harness. You could run it as a carburetor by making an adapter plate for an L20B or Weber carburetor. Take the CAS out and use your '77 points distributor.  

None of the suspension, steering, brakes, body, interior, rear end will be any good for the 620.

• 2 weeks later...

My build is a 620KC onto a 720 chassis, had some "extra" work needed as I wasn't using exactly the same chassis - I used a regular cab/long box chassis instead of a kingcab short box chassis. Only real difference is location of 1 pair of mounts which I cut off and rewelded into the correct position. Like I said, easier if you can stick with the SAME chassis configuration. Rear bumper mount non-existant on 620 so the rear frame rails were just slightly too long.

I knew the 720 mounts otherwise were all the same position, and I learned later the D21 is the same as the 720. Had I known that earlier in my project, I would have used the D21 and benefitted from having a V6, and mechanically the truck would be like 2 generations newer.

Consider what you expect to achieve with a swap of this magnitude, there is SO MUCH that is just different enough to make things difficult. I've had to alter my plans a time or two.

16 hours ago, EDM620 said:

My build is a 620KC onto a 720 chassis, had some "extra" work needed as I wasn't using exactly the same chassis - I used a regular cab/long box chassis instead of a kingcab short box chassis. Only real difference is location of 1 pair of mounts which I cut off and rewelded into the correct position. Like I said, easier if you can stick with the SAME chassis configuration. Rear bumper mount non-existant on 620 so the rear frame rails were just slightly too long.

I knew the 720 mounts otherwise were all the same position, and I learned later the D21 is the same as the 720. Had I known that earlier in my project, I would have used the D21 and benefitted from having a V6, and mechanically the truck would be like 2 generations newer.

Consider what you expect to achieve with a swap of this magnitude, there is SO MUCH that is just different enough to make things difficult. I've had to alter my plans a time or two.

The engine mount I'm not worried about , but how it puting the cab n bed on? Was it difficult?

Surprisingly easy. The body mounts are in the same position. I made an overhead frame and used a chain hoist so I had total control while lifting the cab, had an extra pair of hands to keep it stable (found the perfect balance point - able to balance the cab with one finger).

Because I used a reg cab long box instead of KC short box, I had to relocate the forward box mounts on the frame by a few inches.

IMG_4169.thumb.JPG.a53291b8e1a1bed037fe65343ba65ab8.JPG IMG_4171.thumb.JPG.5e6d1f11ba1a576ee6c801900650d13c.JPG

The rear frame rails were also slightly longer as the 620 doesn't mount a bumper like the 720.

IMG_4174.thumb.JPG.698a4125240905d605cf7f229261be97.JPG

The gantry in use.

IMG_6412.thumb.JPG.ac819f7c53fc6b32a67e9c08862753d1.JPG