Z23T's '71 510

Z23T

9 hours ago, RyanC said:

Reading through this, I should have done a Z18et instead of the l20b rebuild I did years ago. 

So is this a Z22 from a 720 bottom end with the Z18 head bolted on? sounds easy enough.  

Yes, it's a Z22 bottom end with Z22E pistons and a Z18ET head and manifolds. The turbo is a cheap chinese T3/T4 unit and I've been lucky it's lasted as long as it has. I had to install larger injectors from a Ford 2.3L turbo motor to be able to run more than 5 lbs of boost, I'm currently at 15 psi of boost.

9 hours ago, RyanC said:

Z series means swapping left and right side engine mounts and off ya go right.

I'm not sure, I built engine mounting brackets and I use the stock 510 cushions.

9 hours ago, RyanC said:

With a new turbo and ECU the Z18 can sing and extra cubes would be usefull.  

The extra cubes were very noticeable and the extra torque made it a lot more fun to drive. If you already have a Z18ET with all of the fuel system, manifolds, and electronics, etc., a Z22 bottom end swap is worth the effort. If you have to go out and buy a Z18ET and all the stuff to make it run I wouldn't bother. This is 70's technology and there are so many better engine swaps available.

9 hours ago, RyanC said:

Nice colour by the way the 510 looking neat and tidy!

Thank you.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Twenty plus years ago when I was painting the car I cut out the core support to make room for a bigger radiator and the intercooler. I cut it way to much and air spills past the intercooler and radiator into the engine compartment.

002.JPG

003.JPG

I was tired of the fans running all the time to cool off the car so I made these panels to fill in the gaps. It made a big improvement cooling the car when it's moving. It was 87 here today and I drove the car for an hour or so and it stayed nice and cool.

I  made a couple of templetes, and cut the filler pieces from the kick panel of a metal desk. I utilized the 90 deg. bend in the kick panel, and then made my other bend with a jig and a body hammer.

015.JPG

016.JPG

My battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore so I decided to replace the conventional lead/acid battery with a Odyssey AGM.  I moved the battery to the trunk years ago and  used GM battery tray to mount it. The GM tray wouldn't hold the Odyssey so I cleaned it up, made some brackets and fitted them to the GM tray.

001.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Z23T
11 hours ago, Rustbin said:

I can relate to setting yourself on fire, "Hey whats that burning smell" and really like to see other people fabricate stuff. I might borrow your idea for the battery mount too.

You can buy a mount for these batteries for pretty cheap, this one is only $30 https://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/996121.htm I built the brackets for mine because the car allready had the GM battery tray mounted to it.