Z23T

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

I don't have much to report here as I haven't been working on or driving the car very much. I had back surgery 11 months ago and recovery took longer than anticipated, but is feeling pretty fucking amazing now compared to the last few years. Driving the car with 300 lbs springs and Recaro Speed seats made my back hurt like hell after about half an hour behind the wheel. These seats have never really fit me well and the brackets I made to fit the 510 put my butt to low causing to much of an angle between my back and my hips. I built some new brackets to raise up the rear of the seat bottom and this has made driving the car much more comfortable. I wish these seats were more comfortable for me because the really hold me in well when I'm pushing hard through corners, but they have always made my hips hurt on long drives. Below is a pic of the original seat brackets.

002.JPG

Edited by Z23T

I've always wanted a set of metric drill bits, but they are expensive as hell here is the US. I found this metric Irwin brand step bit and it is awesome. No more holes drilled at SAE sizes that just aren't quite right.

004.JPG

• 4 months later...

I've been getting some other projects done so I could start working on the 510 again. You'd think after the car had been back on the road for 13 years I wouldn't have a list of 40+ things to get done, but I do.

046.JPG

The first thing I did was make the front turn signals fit. When I decided to paint the car 20+ years ago I went to the local Nissan dealer and ordered a bunch of stuff and one of the things I needed was a front valance. The dealer said there was one left in the US, and I said order it. When it got here it was a little bent and has a couple small dents but I was stoked to have it. When the car was painted the valance was shot on a pair of saw horses, and after I put it on the car and tried to install the turn signals I discovered that the valance was for a 68-69 510 which have smaller front turn signals. I bought a pair of early turn signals, but they wouldn't fit because the early core support is completely different. The early turn signals are not only smaller, but they also mount on an angle, and the late signals mount flat to the core support. 

009.JPG

010.JPG

Edited by Z23T

The metal on the lamps is only 1mm thick and I've never welded anything that thin. I bought some overpriced 20ga sheet metal at Home Depot and cut up a bunch of pieces to practice tig welding on. I couldn't seem to run a continuous bead without blowing holes in the metal so I decided to just tack weld the two pieces with silicone bronze. Then I seam sealed the two pieces with high heat JB Weld. I reused the studs from the early lamps and tacked them in place.

008.JPG

009.JPG

• Like 1

TLtQNUt.jpg

Excellent! I removed the bulb and modified the socket and added some strip light LEDs to my front markers. The middle two are the running light and the two outer (8 in all) give the much much brighter turn signal. The lens is orange but the light so bright they look yellow now. I like the instant on of LEDs

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

TLtQNUt.jpg

Excellent! I removed the bulb and modified the socket and added some strip light LEDs to my front markers. The middle two are the running light and the two outer (8 in all) give the much much brighter turn signal. The lens is orange but the light so bright they look yellow now. I like the instant on of LEDs

Nice work.

The LED's I used only have one circuit so I don't have running lights anymore, but having turn signals again will be nice when try to turn left against traffic. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A few years ago the temperature sensor on the Hayden electric fan controller I was using died and Iv'e been using a toggle switch on the dash to turn it on.  It's a pain in the ass to keep watching the temp gauge and turning it on and off. The Davies Craig fan controller I bought is larger and it wouldn't fit in the box that holds it and my headlight relays. 

031.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 1

The new box I bought to hold the controller and headlight relays has a couple mounting nuts and stand-offs built into the bottom of it and I made an aluminum plate that sits on them and the controller and the relays mount to it.

035.JPG

• Like 1

The new box is a little to small and it felt like I was trying to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound box. I wired it up using a connector and terminals I bought from Vintage Connections, their stuff is nice and the prices are fair.

042.JPG

045.JPG

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Z23T said:

No front running lights, I have taillights.

I did a little trick with my 521 side markers.... I turned the single bulb into parking light and a turn signal using a cheap trailer wiring box....

I put the parking light signal to the brake light input and turn signal to the turn signal input.... 

I found one for $10 so I got two and did one on each side behind the light to make the wiring easier. 

• 3 weeks later...

Reading through this, I should have done a Z18et instead of the l20b rebuild I did years ago. 

So is this a Z22 from a 720 bottom end with the Z18 head bolted on? sounds easy enough.  

Z series means swapping left and right side engine mounts and off ya go right.

With a new turbo and ECU the Z18 can sing and extra cubes would be usefull.  

Nice colour by the way the 510 looking neat and tidy!