high and full beams and drivers side indicators not working

Ianos

HI all 

My lights were all working perfectly until a few days ago and my full and main beams are now gone, along with the drivers side indicator (left turn) lights. The dash lights are also no longer working - and when I put the stalk to indicate left, the interior indicator just holds on (not flashing) 

I've checked all the obvious things like fuses and loose wires but all seems to be ok and I'm wondering if perhaps its in the switch on the steering column or something else entirely. dipped lights work. 

The emergency hazard work at the rear and passenger side but the front drivers side indicator doesn't flash.. 

we live in an areas off road, very bumpy and I'm hoping that something as come loose - but as mentioned, I didn't find anything off. One other point is that after heavy rain the other day, everything was back working but then stopped again, I assume once dried out - indicating a poor connection perhaps?  

any thoughts, tips, wiring diagrams etc would be a huge help! 

ian 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps put what Datsun you have in your profile so everyone can see what you are talking about. Include the year as there were wiring changes every year. You know what you mean but we don't.

Change the front left signal/running light.... the bulb is either burned out or not making contact.

Again the year would help as some have a relay to select hi or lo beams and some later years are switched at the headlight switch.

20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Perhaps put what Datsun you have in your profile so everyone can see what you are talking about. Include the year as there were wiring changes every year. You know what you mean but we don't.

Change the front left signal/running light.... the bulb is either burned out or not making contact.

Again the year would help as some have a relay to select hi or lo beams and some later years are switched at the headlight switch.

thanks for the tip - its a 1979 620 KC

I'll change the bulb in the side indicator but surely that wouldnt  take out the high/main beams.. 

Not the side the turn signal at the front.

'79? good! the earlier ones with the relays need the parking/dash lights working or you only have high beams working. As it's a '79, check the 15 amp fuse, I believe, is the middle of the three on the left side of the fuse box. NEVER trust a glass fuse by looks alone. (they can be broken inside or not making good contact with the holder clips) Hold a quarter across the contacts... do the lights come on???

All seems fine from the fuse box side of things - I swapped them out and no change to the lights... interestingly, the fuse diagram on the box cover/lid doesnt seem to match the fuse locations.. but either way, that doesnt seem to be the culprit. 

Given the fact that everything worked momentarily after the rain, it would point me towards a bad earth or ground - does anyone happen to know where earths/grounds for the headlights might be located? 

28 minutes ago, Ianos said:

the turn signal is going on but not flashing.. 

Look at the left rear does it light? If not change the left rear turn signal bulb.

34 minutes ago, Ianos said:

yes, the low beams are working fine, as is the right turn signal, its only the main and fully beams and left turnsignal thats not working. 

Are the parking and dash lights working????

On 10/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

isnt the main beams the low beams????

reseat/clean the light relay in the engine bay or where ever it is. On a 510 the ground goes thru the relay but is not activated.

I assume by his sig, that he is in Dublin IRELAND!  Mmmmmmmm Guinness!! 🥰

If Mike says no headlight relay on a late 620, I would suspect the indicator switch (turn signal switch for Hainz) or the headlight switch.............remove, clean, check contacts & re-grease.  If it turns out that the indicator switch is damaged, just keep in mind that the late 620 is different than the early 620.........at least here in the States!

There were 3 headlight/turn signal switches. They were...

'73-'74 4 pin plastic connector, one bullet connector and a female spade connector for the horn

'75-'77 6 pin connector, single female spade connector for horn?

'78-'79 10 pin connector for the signals and a 4 pin connector for the headlights.