i just took ownership of a 1970 1600 and it looks like a very fun project. Need a few tips.

Mspencer

there are 2 knobs on the lower left from what i can tell they are called Throttle Control Knob and the Rheostat knob. they are both broken off. where would i find replacements and not sure what the Throttle control know is? Is it used like a cruse control? I am working on getting it stated for the first time. there is an issue with the starter that i am working on and i am replacing all the fuel lines. should i replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical? any other items to check? 

thank you for your guidance

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 510? They call them 1600s in Australia. This isn't a RHD (right hand drive) 510 or 510 Coupe is it? That would change the meaning of the lower left location of the knobs you mention.

Throttle control knob.... I don't know this term. Certainly not some form of cruise control.

Rheostat.... A dimmer for dash lights is called a rheostat but I don't think the 510 had them.

Don't replace the mechanical fuel pump unless it has failed and you can't find another. Never fix what isn't broken.

Roadster had a knob on the left side I think was intended for a fast idle, even after warmup it increased the rpm's

There is also a wiper knob there with a twist to activate the washer pump if I remember correctly.

Below that was the headlamp switch on mine blocked by the steering wheel in this picture.

Roadster knobs.jpg

OHHH  that 1600. An SP 311.  '70 was pretty rare as the 240z (Fairlady) was taking over that year in October '69. The model year starts usually in August so there were a couple of months that might be called a '70 with the 311. My info stops at July '69 or end of the '69 model year.

My information is spotty. Does yours have a build date between July and September '69? Might the car number be less than SP 311 -# 02000 or SPL 311 - #11000???

Looks like 2000 SP 311s were produced and 999 SPL 311s.

• Like 1

Mike is right, you might have one of the last of the roadsters built. Check the 311's.org site for lots of info. Lots of roadster people on the west side to help.

To start check here for car info,

http://datsunroadster.com/INFO_PAGES/what_year.htm

If you don't have the owners manual check here for dash layout,

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.Manuals

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OHHH  that 1600. An SP 311.  '70 was pretty rare as the 240z (Fairlady) was taking over that year in October '69. The model year starts usually in August so there were a couple of months that might be called a '70 with the 311. My info stops at July '69 or end of the '69 model year.

My information is spotty. Does yours have a build date between July and September '69? Might the car number be less than SP 311 -# 02000 or SPL 311 - #11000???

Looks like 2000 SP 311s were produced and 999 SPL 311s.

its SPL31127481 LHD

Yes. SPL 311 # 24001 to # 27000 for '69 is as high as my info goes. #25481 might make it a half year shared with the S30 that started production in October '69. I've heard that there were '70 Roadsters just can't find it at Nissan.

Do you have a build date? usually month/year, perhaps the driver's door jam???

Don't forget that Japanese domestic production included left hand drive units for Okinawa !  There are RL411 with 8 vehicle production numbers instead of 1.,one in the USA Pacific North West and referenced on this site several years ago.  Chances are there are coresponding roadster models [LHD JDM cars] brought back by US military members.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. SPL 311 # 24001 to # 27000 for '69 is as high as my info goes. #25481 might make it a half year shared with the S30 that started production in October '69. I've heard that there were '70 Roadsters just can't find it at Nissan.

Do you have a build date? usually month/year, perhaps the driver's door jam???

No, don't see anything in the Jam. Where else should i look?

On 10/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, Fetch said:

Mike is right, you might have one of the last of the roadsters built. Check the 311's.org site for lots of info. Lots of roadster people on the west side to help.

To start check here for car info,

http://datsunroadster.com/INFO_PAGES/what_year.htm

If you don't have the owners manual check here for dash layout,

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.Manuals

Thanks that helped a lot!

• 2 years later...

1970 is the last of the SPL/SP and the SRL/SR, the production line was stopped for several months while it was converted to build the new S30 Datsun 240Z model. It was an interesting year at the dealers as they were selling Z’s and roadster’s side by side that year.  
Dave