521 distributor questions

Oilspot

So the vacuum advance on my distributor isn't working. I went ahead and pulled the distributor, shot wd40 down in it and manually rotated the points plate. Yes it was sticky and seemed to free up a little. Still no rotation in response to vacuum though. I've tried to find info on these distributors with no luck. Does anybody have any links or documentation on these units. Part number on side of unit is D412-64-011. It is one of the dual point units and I've already been told I can disengage the "retard" points with no negative drivability effect. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I would have just started pulling it apart but the baseplate screws don't wanna budge. I'm going to pick up a fresh 3/8" drive phillips bit for my hammerdrive unit today. Don't feel like dealing with stripped out screws in this thing!!!! 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suck on the hose end, you should see slight movement in the linkage to the breaker plate. It has to be free to turn.

Look on the side for the 10 digit part number. 22100-????? and post it and put the year and truck you have in your profile so we don't have to ask. It's probably the correct distributor but possibly swapped.

37 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Suck on the hose end, you should see slight movement in the linkage to the breaker plate. It has to be free to turn.

Look on the side for the 10 digit part number. 22100-????? and post it and put the year and truck you have in your profile so we don't have to ask. It's probably the correct distributor but possibly swapped.

No movement of the linkage plate under suction is why i ended up pulling the distributor. There is still some resistance in the rotation of the points plate so I'm not 100% the vacuum canister just doesn't pull hard enough to overcome that. 

The only part number i'm seeing is that  D412-64-011. It is a dual points distributor.

I ran across a thread where you talk about distributor swaps when searching. I may go that direction some day if I feel the need, but for now I've got enough on my hands i don't wanna tackle a swap. 

Edited by Oilspot

The 22100-????? is stamped into the side of the distributor body. Under the grease lol

The retard set of points can just be removed or disconnected. Likewise the relay that turns them on and off can be unplugged and this also disables them.

At part throttle the partially filled weaker mixture takes longer to burn so there's an advantage to increasing the advance to get more out of it. It will run fine at full throttle as there is barely any vacuum anyway. Vacuum advance just improves combustion efficiency at part throttle. Any vacuum advance can from any distributor is better than none.

28 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Racers who use original distributors remove the vacuum advance unit and will have a pile of them laying around, maybe even a bunch of brand new ones. Try Troy Ermish or Steve Epperly or Rebello Racing for a replacement unit.

Good thinking!!! On they here on ratsun?