Das Kommissar

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This  is the longest, most interrupted brake job I've ever done, partly because I was sent a lot of wrong parts, partly because my 720 had a large object parked very close to it for a while, partly because of the stupid and unfamiliar brake design, and partly because I'm old and slow and lacking hand strength anymore.  But i finally have the right parts, assembled, and now need to adjust the shoes to the drums   .   .   .   uh,   .   .   .   HOW???  Anybody know???   This SO damned dumb, SO completely unnecessary  had Nissan not got creative.  How do you pre-set brakes?? Simple;  you get a flat screwdriver or a brake tool and reach through a slot in the backing plate and rotate the little star wheel as needed to get the shoes snugged up to the drum, then back off a few clicks to avoid drag.  So what's the problem with THESE brakes??  NO SLOT TO GET AT THE ADJUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Surely this cannnot be, and I am missing something obvious.  Please advise me

• Like 1

It is.  It just didn't occur to the dumb old guy that the window for the adjuster must be the access for levering what I'm calling the star-wheel.  I'll have to un-glue the rubber cover that I sealed in place, no big deal.  Probably once I've got the job done, I'll be a lot less irritated at this brake design, and more irritated at myself,  though I  might keep an eye on the Classifieds for the newer-style parts.  Meanwhile, thanks one and all for your patience.

• Like 1