5-Speed Trans and Disc Brakes for a '77 620

JohnnyGold

Hi guys, greetings from Portugal!

Just bought myself a 1977 620 with a J15 engine and i was wondering if there is a 5-speed transmission easily available that can be used on this engine?

Also looking to convert the front drum brakes to disc brakes but since my 620 still uses kingpins and not ball-joints i cant to the D21 conversion. Is there any other direct fit disc conversion for the 620 (maybe from a early 720) that is bolt on?

Many thanks to all!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We only got the J13 but other countries did get the later J15 and I think there was a J18 too. I have heard that there was a 5 speed available for the J18. Where? I think they were used in late '70 and into the '80s 620s, 720s, and a few cars like the Violet (710) and made in Mexico.

There is nothing that 'bolts on'...... if there were everyone would be doing this. There are a couple of conversion kits from sellers here on Ratsun where you source the calipers and rotors.

This may be a bit convoluted, but there are 5 speed trans options for the MG Midget/Austin Healey Sprite and the MGB which may work with the J series engine. Frontline Engineering in the UK sells 5 speed kits, and there are Datsun transmission adapter plates for those engines as well. Other companies have made bellhousings for other 5 speed trans options, but none of them are inexpensive.

https://frontlinedevelopments.com/part/new-mgb-5-speed-transmission/

https://frontlinedevelopments.com/part/mg-midget-sprite-1275-5-speed-gearbox-starter-kit/

About $5000 for the above conversions, and I still am not fully understanding which Datsun motors are of the Midget (A series) family, and the MGB (B series) family.

I think your biggest issue would be sourcing Short shaft 5 speed transmission and an L block front case and plate, if I can make a plate with a J15 series plate and an L block plate then a lot of people can if they make the effort, here is a thread about this subject, both Andrew(banannahamock) and JJ(Von) are running around right now with 5 speed transmissions in their J13 powered 411s with plates I made.

https://ratsun.net/topic/75435-a-5-speed-adapter-plate-i-made-for-a-j-series-engine/

I tried using the Z block transmission/plate but I could not make it work as you will read in the thread if you read it, I also had exhaust clearance issues on the J block exhaust manifolds, I did this just to see if I could do it.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1