74 260z distributor on wrong ??

I have been informed it looks like my dizzy was put in off kilter.  not put in properly..  can someone explain to me how this happens.>?  should vacuum point to front of car or drivers headlight? does it need to be flipped around? re adjusted? wrong dizzy? mount to engine on wrong?

i was also told that this is caused by the oil pump gear haft/rod put in wrong. but how does that change where the dizzy sits??  i have looked in the fsm how the dizzy goes on but it does not show how it goes on the mount to engine.  this car has never sparked so something is messed up here.  any help would again be great.. they previous owner had all plugs lined up from 6 at fan and  1 at firewall...

how can i post photos????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fast foward to 11.00 mins in to the vid and Im installing a 4 cyl but should be close to a 6 cylinder.  soemtime people put the mount that go on the front cover 180 out thus making the dist vqc advanced in the oppisite direction.  put motor at TDC first then see where your spindal is and where the rotor points to when the dist is in the middle position then yo can see if maybe the oil pump drive is off a tooth

A. how can you tell when engine is on compression stroke for tdc?

b,.what happens if oil pump rod to dizzy is in wrong?

c. can the dizzy be put on backwards or wrong from the top when it gets put on..??

what " mount on front cover" are you refering to?? that people sometimes put on backwards???

how can i post a photo???

Definitely a remote igniter Electronic Ignition (EI)

1 hour ago, shawninvancouver said:

A. how can you tell when engine is on compression stroke for tdc?

b,.what happens if oil pump rod to dizzy is in wrong?

c. can the dizzy be put on backwards or wrong from the top when it gets put on..??

what " mount on front cover" are you refering to?? that people sometimes put on backwards???

how can i post a photo???

A/ Pull the front spark plug and put finger in the hole. Bum the engine with the starter and compression will push your finger out. You are new on the upward travel of the piston on the compression stroke. Find the timing indicator bolted to the timing cover and turn the crankshaft pulley slowly and there will be a small notch that passes close to the indicator. Stop at 0 (zero) and you are at TDC

B/ It can be moved to the correct but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If you have not had the drive spindle out or the engine was running then it will be correct.

C/ Absolutely impossible to put in 'backwards'. The end of the distributor is keyed to fit the top of the drive spindle. It won't drop down into place till this lines up.

so it can not be lined up and put on backwards?? gee/ i have now narrowed the NO spark down to two things...

either bad electrinic ignition unit or bad pick up coil.. or maybe  a loose wire or bad gap - did not look for those yet..

is it super easy to put on the 208zx matchbox  dizzy???  anyone know which wires go from coil to dizzY for that??

why are a few people saying my dizzy looks crooked or like a right shoe on a left foot??? how do i fix that???

Best to start over and tell us what happen exactly before asking was it installed wrong and why if it was pulled out why. Then we can figure this out.

If it has no spark the other stuff irrevelent right now unteill we get spark

yes he dist can be put on 180 off if the mount was installed 180 off the rotor will be ppointing in the same disrection but the dist housing will be off 180. Unless you know this I will assume this did not happen.  linemotor up to TDC and see where the rotor points too and where the plug wire it points too.  Watch vedio AGAIN!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

ACtC-3fWSRyQVCAknj1aCNA5hZYJK1AmsjI2hPvCfk35CZS6uiHU1qPCGIfjSeFgh1x63R0Tct6-1_yk25s7acqqZtmb8ng269549cPQ7WPqyATrys5iFuDcumHqAVfykHEN1GtUX7oky-eQniqUPf1krvct=w1159-h869-no?authuser=0

There are two TDC positions. Compression stroke (the one you want) and the exhaust stroke. If you are at TDC then you are 180 out OR you are not on the compression stroke but on the exhaust stoke.

8Gj0vYy.jpg

If you are on compression stroke the distributor is 180 out. Easiest fix is to look where the rotor is pointing and that plug wire on the cap now becomes number one. Move all the other wires around counter clockwise in the firing order.

Either way you should have spark.

How are you verifying that you don't have spark????

Are you at TDC on the compression stroke or not???????

On 6/7/2021 at 1:29 PM, datzenmike said:

Definitely a remote igniter Electronic Ignition (EI)

A/ Pull the front spark plug and put finger in the hole. Bum the engine with the starter and compression will push your finger out. You are new on the upward travel of the piston on the compression stroke. Find the timing indicator bolted to the timing cover and turn the crankshaft pulley slowly and there will be a small notch that passes close to the indicator. Stop at 0 (zero) and you are at TDC

B/ It can be moved to the correct but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If you have not had the drive spindle out or the engine was running then it will be correct.

C/ Absolutely impossible to put in 'backwards'. The end of the distributor is keyed to fit the top of the drive spindle. It won't drop down into place till this lines up.

The very front two cam lobes will be pointing up at 2 and 10 o'clock as viewed from the front if on the compression stroke. Now look at the pulley for a notch. It should be close to the timing scale bolted to the timing cover. It might be a pointer on an L26.

Again its in the video  on what to look for with valve cover off

that spindal looks correct  just to let you know.

Now!!!

just look were the rotor points if at #1 plug its most likely correct . Work on getting SPARK first!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUS YOU NEVER TOLD US WHY YOU THINK THE SPINDAL IS OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE.. Did someone work on this you or soembody else.

Was this working and then stopped working . Or was working then soembody worked on it then not working good.

OTHERWISE WE ARE WASTING TIME

not sure of the history of the car... last owner could not get it to run..  i could not get spark,. changed coil. - power to coil but not out of coil.. i was told it could be the pickup coil or the rusty crusty electronic ignition unit.. so i pulled that...  then i looked at dizzzy  - some other guys said oil pump shaft could be in wrong.. - i think the main problem is getting it tdc gettting to see where the rotor points and using that spot as #1 spark...  BUT with a dead EIU i still need to get a 28zx matchbox dizzy and hook that up..  is that only 2 wires from coil and thats it????

I thinkk your spindal is most liley fine. as your photos you sent looked correct

I think you need to get spark. If you swap the coil and put another CORRECT type in than its not the coil.  I rarely see a coil go bad anyways. Most time things go bad when they put the WRONG one in there and pops something else.

Im not a 260Z expert be nice to see photos of distributor coil set up ect.....

most likely it stopped running and was sold and nothing more was done

Find TDC on the compression stroke as mentioned earlier.

Then post a picture of where the rotor is pointing.

That will tell you if the distributor is in the correct position.

We're wasting time on this as the distributor position will not affect whether there is spark or not. Chase down the spark.

Now I asked you, how are you testing for spark????? Turning the engine over and it not starting proves nothing.

8 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

how are you testing for spark?????

take the center coil wire out fro the distributor cap and place near the chassis and start the car. it should spark to the chassis.

PS hopefully you know where the plug wires go and the fire order

that ignition module loks kinda beat.  clean it up and ground it good then re try to see if you get spark

as I said before it looke like you had it at TDC  11/25 11/28 is close enough

bonzai - on my post 20hours ago with dizzy photos.. where do you see it a 11/25  11/28   -  am i crazy...  i am thinking its at like 1:35 from top right to bottom left... 

can you please explain that??

i did test for spark by trying to ground plug from coil.. no luck - i did see spark when key was being turned off..  but there is power going into the ballast resistor..