64 320 Clutch parts

Beer Snob

Any one know where to source clutch components for a 320 PU? I'm running a J15 (but don't it matters). I believe it was the stock (style) friction disc that failed. It had me stumped and now its' been sitting far to long. Time to get back on track! Thanks for any help ✌️

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's column shift there's a kit from Moss Motors that will give you everything you need: disk, pressure plate, and throwout. I think it might be for an old Triumph but I don't remember exactly. I counted splines, measured the opening, and matched it that way. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

If it's column shift there's a kit from Moss Motors that will give you everything you need: disk, pressure plate, and throwout. I think it might be for an old Triumph but I don't remember exactly. I counted splines, measured the opening, and matched it that way. 

Moses, do you happen to have the exact part number in your records anywhere?  That would definitely help me out and I'm sure would be useful for others.  

Thanks!  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Is there a difference in clutch between column and floor shift?

Matt, everything between the flywheel surface of the crank and the tailshaft is different except the motor mounts and the basic clutch slave cylinder though it has a different op-rod. Clutch plate friction surface diameter is 8" on the floor-shift and about 3/8'-1/2" smaller on the column-shift. different input shaft and splines. I've found a lead on a clutch kit for column-shift that I'll post.

I was diggin around in the 320 links and pics that I have for the column-shift 320 and found this pic that was posted on one of the forums in the past couple years. The clutch disc in the pic looks right. Might find this Clutch-Pro kit on the internet or cross reference the kit number to another manufacturer. There's a web-address in the pic for Clutch-Pro.

Clutch-Pro-Kit-for-Column-Shift-Trany.jp

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2

So first of all thanks for all the replies! To answer all the questions, floor shift, however I also have a another 320 that I plan to convert back to column shift so ANY info on either is MUCH appreciated. It appears that the clutch components are the stock components as I have compared to a system that i pulled from a 3rd parts truck I have with the O.G. E1 engine. Looks to be a 20 spline, 200mm friction disc. I figured that with Nissans history there is another Datsun that shares these parts?? 

• Like 1

The first six months of 520 pickup and I'm sure that some of the 4XX sedans used the same floor shift transmission as the 320 pickup. You are right; 7/8 diameter input shaft with 20 needle splines and 200mm/8" clutch disc. I have the boxes for those parts in the stash and can come up with a pic with Daikin, I believe, part numbers. I had to buy a kit for the later 520 with the later floor shift transmission with a stamped steel bottom plate and find the correct clutch disc with the 7/8" diameter input shaft. The later transmission input has a 1" diameter input shaft with 24 splines and is also 200mm/8" diameter but the pressure plate is the same. External configuration of the 520 pickup floor-shift transmission with cast top cover is same as the early 520 and some sedans. except the rear tail-shaft housing mounts. They all have the trans mount lugs cast in  for both applications but are machined and drilled only for the vehicle that they were going into. Not sure about the internal ratios among sedans and pickups.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beer Snob said:

So first of all thanks for all the replies! To answer all the questions, floor shift, however I also have a another 320 that I plan to convert back to column shift so ANY info on either is MUCH appreciated. It appears that the clutch components are the stock components as I have compared to a system that i pulled from a 3rd parts truck I have with the O.G. E1 engine. Looks to be a 20 spline, 200mm friction disc. I figured that with Nissans history there is another Datsun that shares these parts?? 

This data sheet developed by Andy in Kansas has some good information for parts for the column-shift 320 pickups. 

Datsun-320-Column-Shift-Parts-List-Final

• Like 1

Awesome! SUPER appreciative of all the knowledge sharing. I don't know why I didn't think to start cross referencing with the British makes as the E. and J style motors are essentially the same as the BMC motor. ( I think BMC is what I'm remembering), anyway.... also good to know about the early 520 as well as the 4** sedans. The spline count and input dia diff. also handy to have as a guide in my head for the change over period in that 65-66 era. ( witch seems to be when parts become NLA on Rock Auto and such). I've also began working with an  automotive friction specialty shop known for rebuilding and hard to find clutch components in OR., and will post up if I find any good news there. All of the knowledge drops should be useful with them as well, so again, BIG thanks to all of you for your time and input!

• Like 1

Most larger cities have a shop that rebuilds/re-lines friction components (brakes, clutches, etc.). I used one in Tulsa about fifteen years ago to re-line the brake shoes on the little two-cylinder BMW 600 Limousine when I was refurbing the brakes/suspension/drive-line. These vendors service a lot of industrial and heavy equipment that off-the-shelf parts are not always readily available for.

• Like 1

Comparison of clutch plates for 320 transmissions. column-shift on left and floor-shift on right. Note differences in diameters and input shaft configuration.

Column-Shift-on-Left-Floor-Shift-on-Righ

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 3