Wheel question on a 620

Looked at the wheel topics but seems  that thread is not used.  So that being said, like some input.  Have access to some mid 80’s corvette rims that I like, which are high positive offset.  But by the time I use the 6 to 5 lug 2” thick adapters I’m back to almost zero offset. Question being has anyone used a similar set up and and problems with using 8.5 wide rims on the front of their 620?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't do it. Even free can be too expensive. Know what will fit and go with them. Mate within your own species. Mixed marriages (Corvette 5 bolt and Nissan 6 bolt) just never work out and the offspring of this union are disliked by all.

The 620 didn't have a power steering option. The wider the front tires the more effort needed to turn them. An old trick is to run narrower tires on the front. The eye doesn't notice this so much as the rears look way wider than they really are.

There are lots of GM 6 bolt in 15 and 16", Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Trooper, later Nissan trucks and 4 or 5 others are also in 6 bolt and aluminum or chrome. Plus all the after market makers for these.

10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Don't do it. Even free can be too expensive. Know what will fit and go with them. Mate within your own species. Mixed marriages (Corvette 5 bolt and Nissan 6 bolt) just never work out and the offspring of this union are disliked by all.

The 620 didn't have a power steering option. The wider the front tires the more effort needed to turn them. An old trick is to run narrower tires on the front. The eye doesn't notice this so much as the rears look way wider than they really are.

There are lots of GM 6 bolt in 15 and 16", Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Trooper, later Nissan trucks and 4 or 5 others are also in 6 bolt and aluminum or chrome. Plus all the after market makers for these.

Ok, I understand. Now most everything I find in 6 lug are still 8; 8.5 in wide and 15” is this still a problem?

You want the tire diameter to be the same as the stock tire height so a 6.00 X 14 is a 175/70R14 that is 23.65" tall. So no matter what width you select make sure it's within 1/2" of 23.65".

wheel-offset.jpg

8.5" should fit if your wheel offset is correct. Within reason, you can run a narrower or wider tire on an 8.5" wide rim. You don't want the tire outside the fender (negative offset) or it will come down on it. You don't want the wheel in too far positive offset) or it will rub excessively on turns. Wider tires will rub sooner than narrower ones so choose accordingly and be aware of the offset.

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

Thanks for the help. Going to pass on the corvette rims and keep looking at 6 lug that will fit

I didn't keep the list I'd make of alternative rims, but if you're open to sizes larger than 16" you have GM & Nissan rims up to 18" that will work with very low profile tiresIMG_4276.thumb.JPG.fac6ad771f22747ba53fe6492a5322ce.JPG

These are 18" Armada rims on my 620, original rim was only 14".

Your overall diameter needs to remain close to original.

• Like 1