Windshield Replacement

DIY 1985

Has anyone replaced a windshield recently?  I'd love to get fresher glass and an okay(ish) weatherstrip seal.  Is this possible in 2020?  I'd really like to build up this vehicle, but there is so much glare on the glass that I keep thinking that it is its weakest link.

Edited by DIY 1985
  • Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is not cracked clean it really well. I watched a Chris Fix video where he used rubbing alcohol to clean the inside residue then use windex. I was so pleased with the results all the other vehicles got the same treatment.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DaxI5Luw0Eos&ved=2ahUKEwiS05H81ontAhWNmVkKHYWtCuMQFjABegQIARAD&usg=AOvVaw0qeQbm6szb3J0GOKQkhnG4

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

on ebay "rubber done right" i believe is there name have the seals they have seals with and without the chrome trim as for the windshield itself i found a guy on offer up but he wants like 250 for the glass not installed no seal. i went to my local windshield place and they said they had the glass and would install with "universal seal" for 130 not sure how much i trust that uni seal tho i told the guy i wanted the chrome trim seal and i would provide it for him he said it would run me 170 for the glass and installation with the chrome trim. i think you could find a windshield guy near you and they would probably have all of those options  

• Like 1
On 11/17/2020 at 6:24 AM, powderfinger said:

Yes, some companies still have these in stock, I had mine replaced recently. The biggest issue is the rubber seals they use, at least from my experience. I ended up having to add some RTV to my seal to get it to stop leaking.

It is not uncommon to have to seal the windshield rubber after installation.