I need help finding what LSD to buy for my 1983 5 speed 720

Will 720

Im kinda new to working on cars and I bought this truck for $200 and the diff broke into pieces the first time I drove it and I cant seem to find any information on what LSD to buy to replace it. The axle code is FS5W71B HE35. thanks in advanced for any advice its much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes a lot of abuse to break an H-190. An LSD will only stress it more as one tire won't break loose and relieve the strain, and with the 720 it's not like it needs more traction to begin with. Is N Carolina muddy? The 720 didn't have an LSD option, none of the trucks did till the '88-'93 D21 Hardbody 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive. You could look around the wrecking yards for 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder trucks with '88-'93 build dates on the door tag. Then look at the back of the third member for the postage sized orange sticker. Take a rag with you to wipe off the grease..

pC6nd8I.jpg

Because it's an option and nobody knew about it it's a rare to find. You may also get a really shitty ratio like the 3.545. It did come with 3.70 and a better 3.889.

• Like 2

I don't believe you will like the LSD when it is wet outside, I didn't like it at all and I drove it that way for over a year, the truck shaked/vibrated, or tried spinning around when making a left turn at a signal when it was wet outside, I found a 3.3 set of gears, I have a diesel in mine and it has the torque to turn them gears, I have never regretted removing that LSD.

By the way even if you can find one you will likely have to pay $600.00+ for it unless get lucky and find one in a u-pull-it wrecking yard, they are very rare.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Will 720 said:

Im kinda new to working on cars and I bought this truck for $200 and the diff broke into pieces the first time I drove it and I cant seem to find any information on what LSD to buy to replace it. The axle code is FS5W71B HE35. thanks in advanced for any advice its much appreciated!

Does it have an LSD now? What broke? It is possible to repair a broken LSD carrier and internal parts are still available, if not readily. You may have to hunt for them, but they're out there.

• Like 1

If you have a H190 rear end, good luck. No easy way to get a hold of an lsd for those(they exist but are crazy money last time I checked). 

If you have a C200 it's pretty easy, just buy a lsd center for a r200. Something made to fit the 280Z, Z31 300ZX or a S13

• Like 1

He's specifically looking for an H-190 which was only on the 2wd trucks. The C-200 was only on Z24 powered 4x4s.

Just get another H-190 and weld it up properly. Cost 3-4 welding rods. Also known as a Lincoln Locker.

• Like 1