Looking for a 620 project

DNI_g35

Hey guys and gals, this is my first post. Iv'e always loved the styling of all Datsuns, but especially the 620. Iv'e been looking for one in more of a rough condition with the intentions of doing a resto-mod build, or as much as I can on a high school budget. Iv'e looked on places like craigslist, facebook marketplace, and on the for sale on Ratsun, but I can't find any in my state in general (Louisiana) or any surrounding states for that matter. I was wondering if any of you had recommendations of websites or places to look that I haven't seen or heard of?

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, you will likely have to have one shipped from the west coast, maybe the Arizona area, or wait it out till one comes up closer to you, it seems like when one of you guys buys one and has it shipped all of a sudden you start finding them for sale in your area, being patient may save you some money. 

• Like 2

I second being patient. They are rare on the east coast, but not impossible to find. I have found that they come up in waves. There will be a drought, with none for months, then all of a sudden several will pop up. Just be ready to pay premium prices for crap. It took me 15 years to find one that I liked at a price I was willing to pay.

I mostly searched on Facebook Marketplace and craigslist. Try different keywords for your searches: "datsun" "datsun 620" "620" "datsun truck"

You can also try SearchTempest, but it isn't as good as it originally was.

• Like 2

Thank you for the input! Im not planning to get a 620 until I'm 17 (I'm 15 almost 16 now). I've also been looking at nissan hardbodys, which might be a better bet right now. I'm just looking for something I can mess with other than my daily. I'll definitely keep a look out over time. 

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 10:47 PM, DNI_g35 said:

Any idea how much that would cost? That would probably be my only option unless it was during summer. 

You will have to shop around. It could be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand or even more depending on the level of concierge service you want. Plus, you would be buying sight unseen, so there is a risk.

As a frame of reference, my dad paid to ship my uncle's motorcycle from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR, and it was about $1000.

• Like 1

Keep your eyes peeled and save your pennies --- they are out there, and as said before they tend to come in waves. Your "below" the rust belt... but everything I have seen down that way is rusty... watch for rust! Certain spots aren't so bad to repair but others can be a nightmare. If you are lucky you might be able to pick up someone elses unfinished "imported" (from the west coast) project. Datsun prices are all over the board right now... everyone thinks their rusty mess is a gold mine, but if you wait you can get one for a reasonable price. The 720s seem to be a bit easier to come by and usually a little less expensive if you aren't picky. The early ones were still Datsuns before the name changed to Nissan. Keep your eye on facebook marketplace (change your location around too, although it seems they have now added a 500 mile radius). Craiglist and Search Tempest are still valuable, and usually have better deals, but they arent as active anymore. 

Good luck!

• Like 2
On 9/10/2020 at 9:15 PM, demo243 said:

Keep your eyes peeled and save your pennies --- they are out there, and as said before they tend to come in waves. Your "below" the rust belt... but everything I have seen down that way is rusty... watch for rust! Certain spots aren't so bad to repair but others can be a nightmare. If you are lucky you might be able to pick up someone elses unfinished "imported" (from the west coast) project. Datsun prices are all over the board right now... everyone thinks their rusty mess is a gold mine, but if you wait you can get one for a reasonable price. The 720s seem to be a bit easier to come by and usually a little less expensive if you aren't picky. The early ones were still Datsuns before the name changed to Nissan. Keep your eye on facebook marketplace (change your location around too, although it seems they have now added a 500 mile radius). Craiglist and Search Tempest are still valuable, and usually have better deals, but they arent as active anymore. 

Good luck!

Yeah datsuns in general seem to be rare around here, I've only seen 240/280z cars in person. I think there's a 720 down the road from us but I can't get a good enough angle to be sure. I might look into that at some point once I have the room and money to do it. My uncle knows them so it's definitely a contender. I'd definitely rather a 620 so Ill probably just take my time. 

• Like 1

When you ask about shipping costs, if you can find a long haul truck that is returning from the coast with only a partial load, you could have some negotiating room. I expect that you'd have to make sure the loading arrangements are made so you don't hold the driver up - time is money.

This nugget also ties in that you probably should be at the loading point, which infers that you'd also not be buying sight unseen then. For comparison, what would be the cost to rent a car trailer like from U-Haul and fetching it yourself with a buddy along? Even better if buddy has a truck that can pull the trailer 🙂. Assume some point out west like Seattle and figure out your time/distance/motels/meals/gas. Did someone say ROAD TRIP! 

• Like 1