Help Please guys

Payco

Guys, I’m after some help on an issue I am sure has been raised many times before. My lights are playing up on my 510 SSS Coupé. I have reversing lights and rear driving lights working and 4 way flashers but NO rear indicators or rear brake lights. My front lights were working but aren’t now !. I have circuit tested the fuse box and all is well there. I have replaced the flasher unit under the steering column. I’m not sure what the relay does or is alongside the battery ., could this be shot ?. I did have indicators working and front lights but now all of a sudden I don’t. Just feels odd that the flashers and reverse lights are working but nothing else..

can someone shed some  light on what it might be..

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Payco
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'relay' behind the battery is probably the voltage regulator for the alternator. Rectangular with rounded corners, metal and the size of your fist?

Try turning the 4 ways on and off a dozen times to clean the contacts. The four way actually disconnects the signals in order to work when in the ON position but then has to re-connect them when turned to the OFF position. Get a test light and find the brake pedal switch. There should be power on one of the wires

Our issue here is that some of the switches etc in your car may be different than USA spec.  That said, have you pulled the fusebox & soaked in simple white vinegar?  If not, do it for a few days!

Did you put stock "contact style" flasher units in?  If so, you should upgrade to heavy duty ELECTRONIC flasher units on both direction indicator AND hazard!  I use Novita brand part # EL12 HD electronic flashers on both...........every classic car I have...........even my 1965 Mustang!

Ground wires, ground wires, ground wires!!  Unscrew every ground wire, clean terminal & surface where mounted, use dielectric grease & re-install!

Pull ALL light bulbs, clean sockets & terminals, use dielectric grease & re-install!

Does your car have the JDM sequential tail lamps?  We never got them, but I have heard of the sequential "box" going bad, causing electrical glitches.  If you do have, maybe open up the box & look for issues, clean etc etc...............that sequential box was ahead of it's time back then (similar to 1960's Ford Thunderbird & Mercury Cougar), but it is still relatively simple Japanese technology!

Good luck!

TJ

• Like 1

Thanks guys. fusebox, earths, contacts have all been cleaned. Tried the flasher a dozen times as suggested but no joy still. I don't have the sequential lights. I have checked the brake pedal switch with a tester and I have power there. I have a stock flasher unit (new) but I  thought there was only one flasher unit ? didn't know there were two but have located the other one so will swap it out..  All the rear bulb holders and contacts have also been cleaned.

Will have another fiddle now.

Martin

Edited by Payco

ok, thanks to the nod on the second flasher unit I am back in play. Thanks so much, it was hidden and I didn't know it was there. Have ordered two new electronic flashers today that arrive tomorrow so will fit them. Thanks guys, couldn't do it without your help.

Enjoy the weekend.

Martin

17 hours ago, yenpit said:

Ground wires, ground wires, ground wires!!  Unscrew every ground wire, clean terminal & surface where mounted, use dielectric grease & re-install!

The majority of all electrical gremlins is bad grounds.