Blown headgasket

hansdh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z22s weren't in the '84s although it could have been swapped earlier. Z22s are not known for blowing their gaskets. So look between the two pair of exhaust pipes, below the #2 and #3 exhaust side spark plugs just where the head meets the block. The engine size is stamped there...

Q9xYbRS.jpg

Mistakes and assumptions are made and rather than tear into replacing a head gasket I have to ask what makes you think the gasket is blown???

• Like 1

It looses coling-fluid after just a few minutes of driving, the exhaust is more white than before, and it is difficult to start when its hot. It would be fantastic if its something else than the head gasket, but i cant think of anything else that gives theese symptoms

• Like 1

I have some troble taking pictures of my engine because it is stranded on the road some distance away from where I live. But i think it is a z22 because i have only spark plugs on one side, contrary to what i have seen on captain720's videos where he has spark plugs on both sides. This also comes up when I enter the chassis number on a web site I can buy parts.

is it rare for the z22 to blow the headgasket?

• Like 1

Europe is possibly different. THIS... just looking will tell you what you have as anyone in 35 years could have changed the engine. Our Z22 and Z24 had dual plugs per cylinder but the much earlier Z20 did come with single plugs. Again, Europe may have been different.

Look between the two pair of exhaust pipes.

Q9xYbRS.jpg

It's rare for the Z22 top blow the head gasket, not impossible.

• Like 1

Not just you, I see it too.

FIRST.... do not remove the can sprocket until you have restrained the timing chain tensioner from falling out. Once out it's another 4 hours work to put it right. Avoid this at all costs.

Get one of these...

V4gFyD8.jpg

and avoid this...

TPKjY2V.jpg

I suggest removing the head with the intake left on. Take the carburetor off so any sediment doesn't get stirred up. It's awkward so get help lifting it. Then there is zero chance of breaking a manifold bolt or the intake gasket leaking coolant because they are so damn hard to get at to tighten.

• Like 1

so then i need to buy a z20 headgasket? I think its is so wierd because the vehicle registration service we got her in europe tells me that i has a 2.2L, but it is possible that it have been swaped one time for all i know. Do you recomend a place to buy gasket?

• Like 1

Z20 gasket is fine although a Z22 or Z24 will work also. Chances are you may get a Z24 gasket as a 'one size fits all'.

Do you have a tag in the engine compartment something like this...

3op9wC2.jpg

JNS is the manufacturer Asia/Japan/truck

The forth digit is the engine displacement. Here it's an N which is the Z24 and Z24i

F is Z20

M is Z22

S is 2.2 diesel

J is 2.5 diesel

H is VG30i

The chassis number will have a code that says what engine was installed at the factory.... in North America anyway.

• Like 1