What is missing under my hood?

Hey all. What has been removed from my engine compartment? I have hoses and wires circled. The left arrow and question mark is pointing to the bracket that used to house said item that aforementioned wires and hoses were connected to. The other arrow and question mark points to a lead that's connected to what looks like a mercury switch or some other kind of capsule switch next to the starter coil. I'm guessing it is EGR stuff that's went away when the carb got swapped? Sorry, I can't get the image to come up in the post for some reason so I had to link to it below. 

https://freeimage.host/i/Jwf7mQ

Edited by Negative Ghostrider
  • Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jwf7mQ.md.jpg

Should have numbered them, but....

Left ? is the missing windshield washer reservoir.

Left circle I can't tell, but there should be two wires to the electric pump on the missing reservoir. A Blue/Red stripe and a Blue/Black stripe

Middle circle plastic hose connects to the reservoir and the the windshield squirters.

Right circle I don't know. Tell me the color of the wire.

Right ? show me where it goes to the right, and what color??

• Like 1

Ok. That makes sense. I forgot these had sprayer tech. It looked like the same hose that was running up to the firewall/cowl so so should have guessed, but I wasn't sure because sections of the hose are missing.

See the other photos. I'm pointing to the capsule switch in one. The wire color is green. I'm holding the wire in the other. It's looks like it's black with yellow or white stripes. 

https://freeimage.host/i/JwBt5b
https://freeimage.host/i/JwBDej

• Like 1

JwBt5b.jpg

Black/White goes to the BCDD cut solenoid on the side of the intake or maybe the base of the carburetor. Can you show the intake nearby?

JwBDej.jpg

Could it be a condenser? a capacitor? for noise reduction?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Definitely a capacitor. The case is grounded and the lug goes to the coil + terminal. That coil was replaced and doesn't fit. They probably forgot it when it was swapped/

OK. That seemed like the most likely answer. It also looks like the one on the distributor in retrospect. The coil seems to work fine so there's not much point in replacing it with a properly sized one, huh? 

Edited by Negative Ghostrider
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

OK. That seemed like the most likely answer. It also looks like the one on the distributor in retrospect. The coil seems to work fine so there's not much point in replacing it with a properly sized one, huh? 

No, if it works it's fine.

JwC5kG.jpg

LOL it's got a Weber so probably no BCDD cut solenoid. Just tape it out of the way.

Also I'm sure that the EGR was not used until '74. That intake has had the EGR deleted so probably not the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:18 PM, datzenmike said:

Jwf7mQ.md.jpg

Should have numbered them, but....

Left ? is the missing windshield washer reservoir.

Left circle I can't tell, but there should be two wires to the electric pump on the missing reservoir. A Blue/Red stripe and a Blue/Black stripe

Middle circle plastic hose connects to the reservoir and the the windshield squirters.

Right circle I don't know. Tell me the color of the wire.

Right ? show me where it goes to the right, and what color??

My 76 has a plate decently similar to the one on the left side in that picture, but I know for sure the washer reservoir is up on the firewall on the passenger side. So what went there on mine? Maybe something to do with the smog crap? I actually thought about removing today when I was working on it.

Through '74 the wiper reservoir was just to the left of the radiator. For '75 and on it was moved to the passenger side firewall and a charcoal canister was mounted in it's old place to reduce gasoline vapors escaping into the environment.  The charcoal canister stores gas fumes from the gas tank, replacing the earlier old flow guide valve. It's totally benign in operation so see if you can find one and get it working.

• Thanks 1