620 KC cab side window glass

frankendat

I do not own a 620 KC, but was asked by a fellow Datsun lover, where to find 620 KC (non-bubble) cab side windows. I thought since they are flat glass, a glass shop would be able to cut them. My questions to the Datsun brain trust is where would someone find a template or measurements to provide to the glass shop? And, is having the glass custom cut the "good" or standard way to replace the side king cab windows?

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEVER use ordinary glass, it's not tempered so that it shatters into small pieces that are not lethal. You can't cut tempered glass, that has to be done after cutting and is expensive. Start a want ad and get the right thing... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Ted could mail you one.

Thank you for the replies:

Datzenmike, I planned on using tempered (safety) glass, but didn't know it  couldn't be cut. Back when I had an FJ40, people were having the flat hardtop side windows custom cut (out of tempered glass) as a cheaper alternative to OEM  window replacement. I guess cheap is relative, as OEM FJ40 parts are very expensive. Could you comment on Jersey's post that the glass is curved? If there is any curve to the glass, custom work is out of the question.

The tempering process strengthens the glass but also sets up internal stresses that shatter it into fine pieces if it is chipped.

Cut you own out of plastic or polycarbonate if it's made that thin. Pollycarbonate is 200 times stronger than tempered glass.

Is it curved? News to me, don't know. I guess it could be. I've had a few of the 'opera' window out and never noticed. It would make sense to be curved like a dam to resist outside forces..