Power steering

LilDemon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Rat-a-tat-Dat said:

Usually p/s pump pulley is found on the passenger side of engine. Same as the reservoir, attached to the right inner fender.

Is your vehicle a 2wd or 4wd?

It’s 2wd do u know what it looks like cause I don’t 

• Like 1

I'm currently looking to install a p/s system on my '80 720.

Following some leads as to what might work. Plenty of options in todays market, with old and new selections. It also depends on your budget.

The right donor still needs to surface for me.

• Like 1

Get a 720 power steering box to start. I made a bracket for a Nissan PS pump on my 620 and mounted it under the L20B distributor using the threaded holes in the block for emissions air pumps and air con pumps. I used the fender mounted reservoir because there wasn't much room. I don't know if the 720's pump and internal reservoir would fit. I had to have it solidly mounted and used a tensioner pulley.

3spyHUU.jpg

• Like 1

What year is that pump off of?

I'd have a problem mounting it there because of the a/c pump being in the way. More room on the passenger side, juggling it between the alternator and fuel pump.

( can eliminate the fuel pump and replace with an electric version)

• Like 1

The '79 620 uses the mechanical pump studs and more to mount a York compressor. There is also a bolt that the battery ground goes to that could be used for a bracket, but you need to tension the belt also.

• Like 1

I did what Mike did, but I used a self contained Nissan Sentra I believe power steering assembly, I made a bracket like Mike that bolted to the block holes for an air conditioning pump, my bracket was kinda complicated but it also used the tensioner pulley that was part of the self contained unit but I had to modify it, you can see the top of it in the photo below.

DSCN7699.jpg

Here is the bracket from the back.

DSCN0734.jpg

Here you can see the front and how I welded the adjuster to my bracket I made, it is really a complicated bracket and I made it before I put it in the truck.

DSCN0740.jpg

You have to have all the right type of parts to start with, or like me you get together what you have available and make the bracket you need for what you have.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

RAT-a-Tat is correct on the location of the pump, but not the reservoir.  It has a built in one, just like old GMs.

You might be able to use a D21 set-up...maybe, it has the tank on the fender.

I just looked at rockauto (they have a cross-over built in)...a a D21 has a different steering box.

You need a column also.

• Like 1