Cylinder Wall Damage

NC280z

Hey all,

I decided to sneak an inspection camera into my Z's engine during some routing tune-up procedures and found a nick in the cylinder wall of the #3 piston, near the top of the bore. Attached below is a photo of the damage. The car idles well and draws a steady 20" of vacuum once warmed up, though I've not yet done a compression test to see if this damage has affected the engine overall. I also searched the bore for any foreign objects and couldn't find anything, so I'm not certain what would have cause this damage. Is this something I should be concerned with and address quickly?

wwbShN7.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the quick responses! I tend to drift towards the worst-case scenario when I notice things like this. I had a machine shop bore and hone the engine, and I reassembled/refreshed the engine with new internals about 7 years ago and never noticed the damage during the reassembly process. During today's inspection I also noticed deposits on all of the pistons (see below), but all of them have this same even coating of deposits, which I'm guessing is normal for an engine like this. My idle AFRs are between 12.5~13.5, so a bit rich. N42/N42 with flattops, so compression is around 9.69~1 and it's happiest when on the rich side. 

VzbK3yK.jpg

I have found that happiness in car ownership comes with a certain amount of ignorance. If you can learn to ignore things which are not affecting how a vehicle runs or drives, it's best to ignore them.  There's an old saying that goes something like this - worry is a debt paid in advance on something that may never happen.