Deleting the reverse check sleeve

awilson40

Hi all,

Posting this for general info and to ask a question. Many thanks to datzenmike for his help and insight.

I had the shifter on my FS5W71B  'short tail ' hang up between 5th and neutral. It looked like it was in 5th, but the trans was in neutral and I could not move the shift lever

back to the true neutral position or to any other gear. I was afraid to force it into position as it was really hung up so I had to be towed home.  I removed the reverse check sleeve and with a very slight tap the shifter went back to true neutral and shifts all gears fine. The Reverse Check looks and operates fine but I think it jammed some how.

I plan on making a block off plate to cover the hole and leave it out. I know not to slam from 5th to Rev 😉 But was wondering if anyone has done this and if it caused any issues.ThanksVG0boX5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is my first post, I've been a lurker for some time 😉 I'm hoping the reverse check was indeed the problem.

When I removed it the shift lever was still hung up but only took a light tap to release. Hard taps and pressure wouldnt free it up

before I removed the reverse check so it's possible there is another problem and the reverse check just added to it.

Time will tell 😉

• Like 2
12 hours ago, awilson40 said:

Hi all,

Posting this for general info and to ask a question. Many thanks to datzenmike for his help and insight.

I had the shifter on my FS5W71B  'short tail ' hang up between 5th and neutral. It looked like it was in 5th, but the trans was in neutral and I could not move the shift lever

back to the true neutral position or to any other gear. I was afraid to force it into position as it was really hung up so I had to be towed home.  I removed the reverse check sleeve and with a very slight tap the shifter went back to true neutral and shifts all gears fine. The Reverse Check looks and operates fine but I think it jammed some how.

I plan on making a block off plate to cover the hole and leave it out. I know not to slam from 5th to Rev 😉 But was wondering if anyone has done this and if it caused any issues.ThanksVG0boX5.jpg

I dont think it's the check sleeve.   I had that happen to me.... I couldn't get over to 5th/rev....

Look behind this plug... the is a spring and a small piston or something inside....

Mine got stuck....

Screenshot-20200413-105442-Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Here's the reply from Adam at Midwest transmissions, very quick to reply. If I end up needing a trans at some point, I'll go to them first. BTY the cup bushing is new and I found some NOS shifter side plate bushings on EBAY and have them on the way just in case my printed ones are failing.

"I would highly doubt the cause is the reverse lockout.  I have never seen a reverse lockout to be the cause of any shifting issues in these transmissions. It is more likely you have a worn cup bushing on the end of the shifter (assuming the 3D printed side plate bushings are correctly locating and holding the shifter in place)  or a worn 5th/reverse fork inside the transmission.  You CAN remove the reverse lockout and the transmission will still operate as normal. With the exception of shifting out of 5th gear quickly you will probably partially engage reverse and grind gears which will severely reduce the life of the transmission.  Be sure the lockout is installed correctly – there is a small rectangular piece that should be on top when it is installed."

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I dont think it's the check sleeve.   I had that happen to me.... I couldn't get over to 5th/rev....

Look behind this plug... the is a spring and a small piston or something inside....

Mine got stuck....

Screenshot-20200413-105442-Gallery.jpg

This spring device pushes on the shifter and positions it in the 3/4 gate when in neutral. If between 5th and reverse and you let go of the shifter it will move to the left into the 3/4 gate. If you are between 1 and 2 and let go the shifter automatically move to the right into the 3/4 gate.

• Like 2

About a year ago, I put a 720 five speed transmission in my 521.  Taking the advise of some on this board, see post above I took the tailshaft housing off the transmission, and tightened the locknuts on both the main shaft, and the reverse idler shaft.  Not paying attention, when I removed the reverse lockout, I did not notice that it possibly could go in in two orientations, the cover plate holding it to the transmission has two bolts 180 degreed apart.

My advise, before going to the trouble to make a plate to remove it, unbolt the lockout from the transmission, turn it 180 degrees, bolt it back in, and see it the problem goes away.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DanielC said:

About a year ago, I put a 720 five speed transmission in my 521.  Taking the advise of some on this board, see post above I took the tailshaft housing off the transmission, and tightened the locknuts on both the main shaft, and the reverse idler shaft.  Not paying attention, when I removed the reverse lockout, I did not notice that it possibly could go in in two orientations, the cover plate holding it to the transmission has two bolts 180 degreed apart.

My advise, before going to the trouble to make a plate to remove it, unbolt the lockout from the transmission, turn it 180 degrees, bolt it back in, and see it the problem goes away.

Thanks , It was in correctly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... heres an update :

The Rev Lockout isnt the issue. I did leave it out and made a blocking plate. Changed the Trans oil and scored some NOS shifter side plate bushings. The magnetic drain plug had a little sludge and a few fine shavings but nothing major.

It ‘seems’ to shift fine standing still. But when driving. 1st-4th and Reverse are just fine. Shifts fine, no noise or issues. However, it will not go into 5th. Feels like it shifts to 5th, but it’s neutral.  I tried several times and gave up and just ran through the other 4 gears.
 Now.... If I’m stopped and go to reverse then to 5th it will occasionally go into 5th. Not every time but maybe 1 in 3. But will never go into 5th moving at speed from 3rd or 4th.

This car is geared really high. 60 mph in 4th is 2500 rpm so I don’t really need 5th as long as I don’t loose REV or another gear.. It’s going to be a real job getting the engine and Trans out so I’ll take a wait and see stance.

Who needs 5th gear anyway 😉
  • Like 1

Try letting the clutch out slightly in between the shift from 4th to 5th.... 

I have had a similar issue at times, but I can alway get into 5th....

To me it feels like the synco isnt aligned or something.... if I'm trying to get into 5th and I cant I just let the clutch out a little and you can feel it start to slip into gear... clutch in finish shifting.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1