• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hope this helps ya bleach

here is a wheel from my 79, notice the offset and the vents

dattowheel001.jpg

here is the wheel from my 73, again notice the offset

dattowheel002.jpg

this measurement is taken from the back of the mounting surface to the outside edge of the wheel on the 73 wheel, its 4 1/2 inches

dattowheel005.jpg

the 79 wheel, notice its 5 1/4 inches from the mounting surface to the edge of the wheel

dattowheel006.jpg

So without jacking up the 79 and taking the front wheel off and the looks of these two measurements, the wheels would fit the rear end with no problem, but would hit the calipers in the front. I hope this helps you.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Doug saying there were 3 different rims for the 620. The '78-'79 would fit the earlier but not the other way round. The offset would indicate the earlier trucks had a narrower width rim to rim.

The caliper sets inside the wheel though. The clearance issue should not be with how far inward the wheel lip sets but with the curve of the wheel from the lug mounting point to the welds on the rim. The shape looks the same to me.

The offsets show that the 1979 wheel sets inward on the suspension more which makes sense because the later trucks had a wider stance.

too bad I dont' have a 1978 truck to try these wheels on :)