1981 A10 510: Fuel-rich mixture causing starting problems?

IsaacHeink

Hello all, I was wondering if having a rich fuel mixture could cause starting problems? It cranks but it won't start. The starter just turns over and over and over. 

My car will not start consistently - some mornings it starts fine but will not start when I go to leave work in the evening, and other days it will not start at all.

I only ask if it is the mixture because I get a strong smell of gas when I try to start it and I've checked everything else.

Some back story: It was having issues starting late last year, but those seem to go away after I replaced the spark plugs, high tension wires and distributor cap and rotor The battery died on December 31st and since then it has given me problems. I checked the battery volts (12.4) and starting amps, and the alternator. I also replaced one of the ignition coils to no avail. 

Thanks in advance!

Isaac

Edited by IsaacHeink
Title change to include car model
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

carb float might be high slightly flooding the carb.

now if carb float is hih its letting to much gas in  and the choke will overkill it even more.  Maybe disconnect the electric choke part and with no gas pedal see if it starts EZ,

the battery dies. Batteries don't just die unless something kills it (if very old that is different)

whats the voltage while running ???? then whats the voltage with the heater and lights on while say at 2k rpms????? if 12volt with lights on then alternator has low output with a load.

coils usually dont go bad but one could swap them as you have 2, then take the center coil wire and place near ground and see if it sparks. Id you get spark on both coils I would narrow it to the carb.

Im not a Napz motor expert but just best guessing

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

carb float might be high slightly flooding the carb.

now if carb float is hih its letting to much gas in  and the choke will overkill it even more.  Maybe disconnect the electric choke part and with no gas pedal see if it starts EZ,

the battery dies. Batteries don't just die unless something kills it (if very old that is different)

whats the voltage while running ???? then whats the voltage with the heater and lights on while say at 2k rpms????? if 12volt with lights on then alternator has low output with a load.

coils usually dont go bad but one could swap them as you have 2, then take the center coil wire and place near ground and see if it sparks. Id you get spark on both coils I would narrow it to the carb.

Im not a Napz motor expert but just best guessing

Thanks for the insight! I'll try to disconnect the electric choke if I can identify it! 

I apologize, I wasn't very clear about the battery dying. It died because I left the headlights on overnight. The battery is reading 12.4 off, then around 14.8 when the engine is going. I haven't checked the voltage with the headlamps on, but I'll do that if I can get it running.

My specific car actually has two coils; one for the ignition cylinders and one for the exhaust cylinders. 

Do I'll hold the coil wire near a ground while trying to start the car or while it is off? 

You need to be cranking the engine to check for spark.....

And if you disconnect the electric choke it will stay choked so you dont want to do that .... if anything you need to make sure that the choke is opening and working once warmed up.....

Have you changed the fuel pump recently or anything else?

Is this a new problem?

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at then when it doesnt start?

If you are over rich they should smell like gas and be dirty...

If it is your fuel....

As hainz said make sure the float isn't sticking and make sure you have the proper psi...

One thing you can try, which might be a pain in the ass if you don't have time, but get some clean spark plugs....

When it doesn't start swap the plugs....

It should start right up....

If you still have problems then you might think about having a shop help with the jetting if you can find one that knows your carburetor.. a dyno shop can help check the cars air/fuel mixture but they might not have jets to tune it.....  for the cost of an hour on a dyno you  get an air/fuel gauge and learn how to tune it yourself......

Each cylinder has two spark plugs one on the intake side of the head and one set on the exhaust side. You have to check for spark on one of the intake and one on the exhaust side to be sure both sets are working.

When engine is warmed up take the top off the air filter housing and take a look. The choke should be off or vertical, like this...

Qml955T.jpg

It should not be closed like this.... or even partly closed.

L043Tu4.jpg

Here's something....

What carburetor do you have?

One other thing to try....

Find the air fuel screw.... see where that is set .... screw it in and count how many turns till it bottoms out... then back it back out but not so many turns....

That would lean out the idle.... this is where the air/fuel gauge helps....

Electric chokes are usually on a relay. They are on only when the engine is running and the alternator charging.

Check my post above to see if choke is stuck on after engine warms up.  OR maybe stuck OFF and not rich enough to start sometimes. If it doesn't start you will smell gas.

And check for spark on both sides. Nothing like chasing a carburetor problem and it turns out to be intermittent electrical.