KA24de Transmission -- 240sx vs. Frontier

klam07

On 12/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, Bleach said:

The KA24e started in 1990. If you are looking only for the transmission from a KA24, then look for the Hardbody from 1990-97 but also include the 1998-2004 Frontier.

I'm not sure if the transmission has any differences between the Hardbody version and the Frontier version.

D21 trans is $300 used. Frontier is $1000! Yikes! 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2023 at 8:36 AM, datzenmike said:

Four cylinder or V6 D-21 Hardbody, Xterra and Frontier use the 71C transmission. That's '84- present almost 40 years, surely they added some upgrades.

2wd V6 trans will bolt up to my KA24DE also? Those seem cheaper for some reason.

On 1/7/2023 at 8:28 AM, MH60M said:

2wd V6 trans will bolt up to my KA24DE also? Those seem cheaper for some reason.

I highly doubt it. Datzenmike can confirm but I believe what he means by 'they are the same' is that the gearbox/tailshaft are the same in either engine configuration. The bellhousing would definitely be different.

So if you have a KA or Z24 bellhousing, then maybe that will bolt to the transmission gearbox that you got from a VG30/VG33e.... now it sounds more confusing.

Personally, I found that there are 1998-2004 Frontiers at Pick n Pull. Transmissions are just about $200 right now so I went that route. You do have to find only the 4-cyl RWD with manual trucks. Most Frontiers after the year 2000 seem to be V6 with 4x4 / auto. 🙂

Generally the 71C transmission front cases are all the same but for the bolt pattern that mounts them to the engines. There were CA, Z, VG, KA 71C transmissions at least. Oddly the Z and the KA used the same front case/bolt pattern. The 71B front cases can be modified to fit the 71C transmission to allow the L and the SD series engines to use the 71C transmission..