strut identification

Richgearhead

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wire brush the outside of the strut tube and there will be a 10 digit part number something like 54303-????? probably starts with an N or an E and four more numbers, 10 in all. Post what you find.

For pictures you will need to get a (usually free) picture hosting account, like imgur, image shack but do NOT use Photobucket. Download and save your picture there. When you need it, go to your account, copy the picture information bring it here and paste into your post. This is a very abbreviated description but I figured it out so anyone can. 

https://imgur.com/ACChNOR

https://imgur.com/jjNU1Fl

These are images of the strut that came on the car. Do these look like a 280 Z strut? Are the rebuildable? I'm searching for a kit to service  them, or a place to have them serviced. Any help identifying them would be appreciated. If not any ideas on a replacement? The prior owner used them for a strut conversion of the front of a 70 duster. 

Yeah the part number is much higher up and covered by those sleeves. Can they be removed?

Do you know what the small round hole is for?

jjNU1Fl.jpg

ACChNOR.jpg

There should be a caliper mount on the back. Can you measure the center to center of the bolt holes? A ZX caliper mount has holes 89mm apart center to center, both sides are machined smooth and the holes are not threaded.

I believe all (Datsun) struts up to '84 (at least) were threaded, (the bolt goes through the caliper and threads into the mount) and so only needs to be machined on one side. The ZX bolts through the mount and into the threaded caliper. The only other strut with an 89mm center to center is the '80-'82 S110 200sx but again the mount is only machined on the one side and threaded. I'll check this this weekend.

Thanks guys for the info, I did remove the coil over thread and there are no numbers to be found, these struts have a JFZ disc brake that bolts to the five holds on the spindle mount, I was hoping to get some info it these struts are rebuild-able or I can purchase some new ones, they have sat for 10 years and leak out the top seal.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, Richgearhead said:

Can anyone tell what strut I have I believe they are off a 240Z or 280Z I have posted a picture, thanks for your help.  Well I can't seem to find where I can attach the photo can anyone help me with that

Richgearhead

As I understand it the S30 struts do not work on any other Datsun (510, 610, 710, 810, B-210, 210, A10, S10, S110 and on...) so in reverse, none of those will work on your 240z. I believe it's the strut/spindle angle which is 10 degrees on the other Datsun cars. If this was on a 240z then I would expect it to be from another S30 up to '78.

• Like 1

That seems terribly short for an insert. Try on line for a place that makes and/or sells strut inserts, (Tokiko?) or on line catalog of sizes and dimensions. You can use shorter one than needed and build it up underneath with washers.