Old truck = New headaches

Hello everyone.

New member here, I purchased my first Datsun this weekend. I've always wanted a Datsun of some kind for a long time, my dad had an aqua turquoise colored B210 in the early 90s and it was uglier than homemade sin. But for the past few years I was itchin' for that old mini truck vibe from back in the day, so Saturday I bought a '69 521 pickup from a guy in the Long Beach area. Barely got back to Sand Diego and it developed a problem.  The number 2 cylinder intake valve started sticking so it was popping and sputtering even a little fire in the Weber carb. Needless to say by Sunday morning the head was off motor torn down to basically a short block, so my question is this: Where the hell do y'all get parts for this bastard?!  (I was told J13 motor)

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? A little guidance from the pros perhaps, anything is helpful.

Also, the clutch is toast it slipped all the way here and that's probably why I could barely hit 60mph the whole way home.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most high wear items can be sourced from any auto supply store like NAPA. Clutches, brake shoes ball joints etc.

Things like heads and transmissions come only from another 520 or the '69 L521 so that will take searching and patience. You may be lucky and find a trashed one that you can by completer and cheap and harvest parts from it.

Too bad it's apart so quickly. Would be nice to drive around and sort out the brakes, suspension, electrical. This will have to wait.

BTW 60 is probably about right for an old L521. The rear end is 4.875 so it will be screaming at 60 but totally capable of more.

Yes it has a J13 the last year ('69) for this engine and the first year for the 521. The earlier '66 and up 520 had them but for body parts the '70-'72 are more similar.

It sounds like this truck could have sat in one place for a while, the sticky valve could have been nothing more than old gas as that has happened to me.

The J13 is not a popular engine, but they are out there, maybe try a forklift place for parts.

The clutch may be adjusted wrong also, check the clutch slave rod, it should be just barely loose(1/16th inch play).

Thanks Mike,very informative. doing 60-65 on so cal freeways is gonna suck but, it'll do for now.

Farmer, I may just consider that.

Wayno thanks, I will definitely check that slave rod. 

I appreciate the help guys, thanks again.