Power steering pump rebuild

blackbomber

hey Guys   Well i guess i a ready to do something about my power steering  pump  bearing..noise.  every winter it gets worse and worse. so,  I have bearing and seals.   So .  gonna get it off and see what I  Got.    For starters.   is there a drain screw on the  steering gear box??.  do I have to drain the  PS fluid first??.   Not having much  luck finding a video   on  you  tube.   My truck   is a    1984   4x4   2.4 L   .....  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting the pulley off is the hardest part. Otherwise just a snapring bearing and seal. Last time I did one I bought the bearing and seal using their numbers for about $15. Rebuild kits using the same parts I think was north of $60 and rebuilt pumps over $100. I just disconnected hoses and put rags on the ends. It wasn't a big mess but I have a remote resivior on mine. If your reservoir is attached drain the low pressure side.

• Like 1

Hey guys.   this sucks..  I got the pump detached  but it wont come out.    manual says theres 4 bolts  total.  2 on a bracket, a nut and bolt in front.  I can get it to move up and down.   its like wedged.  or   something..  the lines are still on  it,  have not disconnected,  but I don't think  that's it.  my arms finally gave out trying to rock it back  and forth..

• Like 1

Does the bracket have those bushings that tighten against the pump when you tighten the bolt? You know, like on an alternator bracket.

If it does, those bushings are designed to wedge it tight. Just use a pry bar to get the pump out of the bracket. Be careful what you pry on though.

Of course, I am assuming you have all the bolts out.

Mike has a point about the idler pulley. For some reason, when it's wet out, some idler pulleys get noisy. If the noise is there when you cold start it, but goes away when it warms up, it could be the idler pulley. If the opposite occurs (no noise on cold start then noise when warms up) it's likely the pump.

• Like 1

I know guys.  I have been diagnosing this for a while and  last year I decided it was the pump making the niose,  I had a stetha  scope  on it numerous times  and the noise was definitely  in the pump.. if I am wrong so be it,  but that my conclusion.   I wanted it to be the adjuster pulley,  believe  me.    I have the bearing and seals  for the pump...   If I  cant do it,  I will just have to get a rebuilt..   After  I take a nap,,  gonna get the frikkin  thing out!!

• Like 2

Ok guys  looks like my original  Nissan manual is wrong again..   that manual  is really junk.  So theres another bolt in front that was holding it in.  Got the pump all apart...  And   uhh   yea .  gonna take seal out tomorrow.   but  I don't see any  way there is a bearing behind it, but we will see.  shaft just runs in a lubricated  tunnel.     I know the seal has been leaking for a very long time.  Could the leaky   seal  be making  the noise on the pump??? or the casing for the   shaft isn't staying lubed.?? because of   leaky seal

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys.   just wanted  to get back on and follow up on what I found out about  the power steering pump.   I got the leak fixed.  no bearing in there.  just a nylon

sleeve  with  grooves in it.  the power st fluid  runs in the grooves  and lubes  the pulley shaft.  so when I parked the truck at night, the fluid would leak out  around the seal , then when

it was cold out and I would start it,  it would squeal  really bad for at least  5 to ten  minutes  until  more fluid  got into  that shaft..     so  .. just wanted to share that little bit of info...

• Like 2