Mirror placement

B_riginal

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have been looking for the answer to the mirror placement. I purchased a 1970 521 recently and the wing windows hit the mirrors. I have seen photos of stock 521 with the driver side (only) mirror but I cannot tell if the wing window hits it like mine does. (I can't imagine Nissan would have designed it like that.)

Can someone tell me if the "stock" mirrors will allow the wing windows to open all the way?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood, but when the truck was sold it came with a driver side mirror and a bed. US dealers installed the mirror as "stock" equipment. but it seems the mirror was getting hit by the wing window. 

Is there a mirror (mirror placement) that is suggested in this forum that will work with the wing window?

Maybe a pic of where yours are mounted and what they look like will help..... I saw a few pics on the internet with the mirrors mounted close to the front of the door and some about 6 or 8 inches back. .. I haven't heard anyone else with this problem so maybe someone installed mirrors that may not be correct....

Nice looking truck..... 

I dont believe those are factory style mirrors.... I always thought they were round.... as far as location that's where my 521 mirrors are mounted, but I am using mirrors from my old motorcycle so I have no issue.....

Look at DPs thread....

My 1971 521.... a couple posts down... I believe he has original mirrors minus the fact the mirror fell out of one and there are some pics on the last page of his thread for comparison....

You’re right those are not the original mirrors. They were added by the previous owner. Unfortunately they’re mounted with four screws so I’m looking for a mirror that looks stock but can cover the existing holes. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’ll take a look at the threads you mentioned. 

I like the idea of using motorcycle mirrors. 

Ya I saw the 4 screw....  

How nice are the mirrors?

Would it be possible to bend yours in a direction that would let the wing window operate?.... maybe a small cut at the base, then weld.... again not sure what they are made of if that's even possible... 

Motorcycle ones tend to be 2 bolt... 

Trick will be finding one with a big enough base to cover the existing location and function properly.....

We found mirror placement difficult with our 521, after bodywork and before paint we had to place mirrors and drill for mounting. The mirror we settled for was actually a inexpensive mirror that we had painted the same color as the truck. Its placed so the bar of the no draft window isn't obstructing the drivers view and I don't think it will interfere with the movement of the no draft window (its not installed yet). We placed some masking tape to simulate the window bar. Could be difficult to achieve all this and cover screw holes, I would instal a new mirror or relocate your existing for best function, maybe some kind of plastic sheet stock as a trim underneath if the holes really bother you.

45088769725_025fc15650.jpg

45088769155_240fa91104.jpg

Edited by sondat
  • Like 1

I guess I never really thought about using the wing windows that way, I always thought of them as a supplement to the defroster.

When I want to move air in the cab I open the air flap above the heater duct and either open the door window or my slider back window, that gets air moving.

I don't use the wing window a lot, I have them positioned so they do not leak air and make wind noise leaking, they are a pain to replace.

• Like 1