Motor Swap

Dog_run_720

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VG30s have been. If you've never done one I wouldn't start. A lot of one-off custom parts... engine and transmission mounts, oil pan mods, shorten driveshaft, larger rad. All the EFI electronics to sort.

More to the point can you start and drive this DETT? If not, pass on it.

• Like 1

"ran when parked" I've heard this before and would hate to see you get something that was stored in the back yard under a tarp for 8 years. Does it include all the wiring???

A rebuild would be the cheapest option. Next easiest a KA with about 50% more power.

BTW Nissan stopped using 4 speeds in the 720 in November of '82 or about 4 months into the '83 model year. If you have a 4 speed your 5 speed had to be taken out.

• Like 1

I'm with Mike. I would rather spend twice the money to get a running car. That way you know it runs, and can actually verify it. Another reason is that you will now have all of the parts needed to do the swap. Yet another reason is that you now can control the method in which the parts come out of the donor car. The wiring harness is a good example here. I have seen many guys clip out what they think they need to be able to run the engine, but they were wrong and what's left is a butchered harness that will take a hundred hours to get back into working condition.

• Like 1

I did it the wrong way. Bought basically a long block truck ka. Then a car ka to get manifold and other bits. A hacked harness, another harness with missing sensors, another manifold to get injectors and fuel rail, oil pans ect, ect ect. Much, much cheaper to buy the whole donor vehicle. I wouldn't bother with the car manifold on truck ka again. Find a wrecked frontier 2wd or hardbody so you can use the trans also. The hardbody harness is supposed to be a bitch but has been done. Easier if it is in your own garage and not a JY. You will need oil pan work and the engine mounts by redeye work great. 

• Like 2