84 720 will not turn over, I’m lost

CharlieMurphy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a DMM? (Digital voltmetter)

If no then get one, you won't regret it. Once you have one check for power everywhere! Check the battery, check the starter when you are trying to start it, check the ignition switch, check your fusible links (seriously check those, I have had this exact same scenario from bad fusible links and or loose terminal connections) 

• Like 1

There are at least 3 fusible links on the 720. One for the headlights and lighting, one for clock, brake lights, interior lights, horn... things you don't need the ignition ON for and then ther is one to the ignition switch tha routes to the fuse box, ignition and tells the starter to spin.

1/ If your headlamps work that is fine

2/ If you horn or 4 ways work then it's fine

3/ If the wipers, radio, heater do not work with the key on then I suspect that fusible link. Go to 5/

4/ If wipers and heater do work then maybe the start signal from the ignition switch to the starter is bad.

5/ All links are connected to the positive battery cable. There are 2 Green and a Black wire. One Green is by itself and the other is paired with the Black. This Green one powers the ignition switch. If it is blown it may appear melted or burnt. If you flex it it may have burnt crumbly wires inside.

If they all have power on the end farthest from the battery it can be assumed (for now)  that the fusible links are OK.

• Like 1