Hamiltonstövare, the 122 hot rod

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, tr8er said:

I'd be divorced for the money I'd put into the interior.  

He is doing a nice job of it. I like the oxblood red with the dark blue exterior...

And if you have an hour or two to kill and want to see some of the most amazing homebrew fab work ever...

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?462961-Adam-s-Amazon-Wagon-Project-Update-Thread-quot-HeadQuarters-quot

I drove all the way to Oregon to meet Adam a few year ago, because of his thread on building that 2 door Amazon wagon.

I've had more than a few Amazons. The worst repair on these things can be replacing the rear wheel bearings.

I have seen some very sturdy pullers defeated, but hey, you may be planning to replace than reared with something else anyway.

I would suggest checking out that Volvo Dana 30 for an 8.8, slapping together two "short sides" and solving a whole slew of problems.

Another option several folks have tried is installing Ranger rear axles.

The Volvo axles tend to break under hard use, the wheel bearings come in big and little, and I think one size is now hard to find.

There are two types of wheel cylinders.... one is now harder to find, or was when I tried a few years ago.

But I can tell you, an Amazon in good condition handles surprisingly well with bigger bars and some simple KYB gas a just shocks.

The stock B18 will take high revs "forever" (sort of like the L16).

And when the heaters work, they work awesome! Like good enough for north or south Dakota, don't cha know....

23 hours ago, ol' 320 said:

I would suggest checking out that Volvo Dana 30 for an 8.8, slapping together two "short sides" and solving a whole slew of problems.

The stock B18 will take high revs "forever" (sort of like the L16).

That is pretty much already the plan. I may run the stock diff for a bit to see how it does, but the stock gear ratios are a bit crazy. And an Explorer diff would get me discs and potentially an LSD.

Although I do have a complete 280ZX rear suspension with no home, so...  ?

And the stock B18 is long gone, so no worries there. ?

23 hours ago, ol' 320 said:

But please, don't paint this one purple:)

I was honestly thinking a dirty silver...

2029863719_3f611ee655_b.jpg

• Like 1

This will be a sweet rig.

I have run B18s and B20s in Amazons, with a combination of dual 40s (Weber), a 32/36 DGV (Weber) and sidedraft Mikunis of unknown size, but the best all round ever were a fresh rebuilt pair of SUs that had the full Monty worker by some dude in the PNW.

Long ago before3 I ever knew what drifting was, I had so much fun on one of these Amazon sedans in an iced over parking lot at Squaw Valley during a miss-guided ski trip.

Looking back, how I missed stacking this car up on a light pole is beyond me;)

Back then, when the CHP closed the highway down due to snow, it was just a challenge to stop at a friend's house in Truckee and install a shitty set of rear tires that we had drilled a bazillion holes in and threaded with miscellaneous bolts and nuts to create a DIY set of studded tires, and to drive on regardless with the lights off in the moonlight....

Mind you I was about 18 or so and didn't even know how to change a fuse if something went wrong. A friend whose girlfriend had a cute friend and acess to a family cabin ask me to drive them up there for a weekend, and all I had to do was provide the transportation and bring a couple of cases of Mickey "widemouth" beer.

There is nothing like the ignorance of youth. But now I am smarter.... and I drink better beer.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, DaBlist said:

How much does a Amazon weight?

You probably won't believe me (hell, I didn't believe it) but stock weight is 2255 pounds. I'm think by ditching the heavy all iron engine and a few other bits, I could maybe get it down near 2000 pounds?

The 510 I built with this same engine was a ton of fun to drive, fairly quick, and checked in at 2170 pounds, so that is my goal...

Edited by datsunfreak
34 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Did find a super cheap set of 17x8 Cobra wheels today. Still trying to decide if they'd be cool or not...

cobra1.jpg

If chrome bumper/trim, this finish on rims would look odd.  But this car will have more than one pair of shoes I'm predicting

1 minute ago, tr8er said:

If chrome bumper/trim, this finish on rims would look odd.  

The ones I may be getting are actually fully polished. This was just the closest example pic I could find...  ?

2 minutes ago, tr8er said:

But this car will have more than one pair of shoes I'm predicting

This is a safe bet, yes. ?

As you can see, they are in fact polished (not painted silver), and you can also see I did buy them after all because they were just too cheap to pass up...  ?

large.20181026_142835.jpg.ccdfc1917f9e6c

Also dug some stuff out of storage today. After the recent unpleasantness with trying to tune the DCOEs on my 1200, I decided I'm done with those. So then DGV? Maybe, but I do have this...

large.20181026_185151.jpg.fffd5b9fdd2a7b

It's a stock 200SX intake with all the smog stuff shaved, new injectors, and a billet fuel rail. I put this together for a 510 wagon that Kelmo has now, and he had no use for it so I asked him to send it back to me. And now I'm glad I did...  ?

I also have two 200SX EFI harnesses, two computers, two AFMs, etc. This stuff is super easy to wire up, and they work well once desmogged, so...

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...