my '72 620 IS a RATSUN!

phatdave

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get a seat today from freaky510 in Longview. Brian. Nice guy! Thanks Brian.

Okay I got rid of my SU's. I am going to put on a Weber. At that point I will welcome every Datsun person in Vanc/Pdx over for BBQ and beer and wrenching.

I do like the Orange and Blue combo. The tailgate that was on it was in PRETTY good shape...the blue one is just a little better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/phatdave/ratsun.jpg

I think it ranks as a Rat now with the new mismatched tailgate. I can't wait to replace the front fenders with new ones from a YELLOW 620..and then a new hood from a WHITE 620..YEAH BABY!!!

And happy fathers day to all of you Dads

The only thing on my '78 that's original is the two manifolds, the head, the block, the pan and the wiring just between the tail lights.

The cab, tail lights, grill and fenders are from a '76? The dash, heater, wiper motor, carpeting, wire harness, long bed gas tank, steering column, throttle cable, 4X4 console, transfer case, rear end and frame are from about five various 720's. Rad from a '79 200sx, seats from a Chrysler Daytona, power windows and sun visors from an '80 200sx. The drive shaft is half G.M. and half 720. Steering wheel and 5spd from a '80/280zx, starter from an '84 Maxima, power steering box from a '87 Hardbody, alternator from an '87 Plymouth K-car, dizzy from a '79, front axle from an '82 Toyota 4X4, four leaf springs from a Ford F-150, and G.M. rear and side view mirrors and six bolt 15" rims. A Stanza radio antenna. The P/S pump is from some Nissan vehicle, the shocks... who knows? I'm replacing the flat bed with a long bed... cut to fit a KC, of course.

Does anyone have a vehicle with a bigger mixture of parts to keep it going? Can I call myself KING RAT?

The only thing on my '78 that's original is the two manifolds, the head, the block, the pan and the wiring just between the tail lights.

The cab, tail lights, grill and fenders are from a '76? The dash, heater, wiper motor, carpeting, wire harness, long bed gas tank, steering column, throttle cable, 4X4 console, transfer case, rear end and frame are from about five various 720's. Rad from a '79 200sx, seats from a Chrysler Daytona, power windows and sun visors from an '80 200sx. The drive shaft is half G.M. and half 720. Steering wheel and 5spd from a '80/280zx, starter from an '84 Maxima, power steering box from a '87 Hardbody, alternator from an '87 Plymouth K-car, dizzy from a '79, front axle from an '82 Toyota 4X4, four leaf springs from a Ford F-150, and G.M. rear and side view mirrors and six bolt 15" rims. A Stanza radio antenna. The P/S pump is from some Nissan vehicle, the shocks... who knows? I'm replacing the flat bed with a long bed... cut to fit a KC, of course.

Does anyone have a vehicle with a bigger mixture of parts to keep it going? Can I call myself KING RAT?

wow mike, thats REALLY RATTY congrats must be a great honor :P

I did get a seat today from freaky510 in Longview. Brian. Nice guy! Thanks Brian.

Okay I got rid of my SU's. I am going to put on a Weber. At that point I will welcome every Datsun person in Vanc/Pdx over for BBQ and beer and wrenching.

I do like the Orange and Blue combo. The tailgate that was on it was in PRETTY good shape...the blue one is just a little better.

sounds good dave let us know when man.. so all u have to do is put a carb on basicly or? what all needs to be done really.. just curious

you going to use a l20b head? i dont care much for the napz heads .. an all the spark plugs and such

I once ran across a 200sx with only 4 plugs, it was crazy! I think it was a one year only deal

you going to use a l20b head? i dont care much for the napz heads .. an all the spark plugs and such

Absolutely! It'll allow the Z20E EFI to fit the Z24 head. I'm not out for insane top end stuff, but, I want to push the Z design a little bit. Don't knock the twin plug design... shortens the burn time so less advance (I hope). I have a Z24 head that I ported and polished, exhaust matched, blah, blah, set aside for later. Still have to lighten the valves and find some springs. Love making something work out of shit.

In the US all the 200SX with L20b had a carb. 77-79 That guy at Canby talking about how some 200SX had those EFI intakes on the L20b was full of crap.

1980 was the model change over. The 200sx got the new NAPS Nissan Anti Performance System (sorry) and was the first year with new EFI. The engine was pretty much an L20B with a cross flow head. All US cars are supposed to have had dual plugs. I read somewhere that the California cars had to have dual plugs for emissions, and the other 50 states followed a few months later or at years ('80) end at latest. I have an '80 and '81 Canadian 200sx and they both only have a single plug per cylinder. The good news is that they also have a four plug matchbox distributor that will fit any L four cylinder!!! The '82-'83 with the Z22E had dual plugs in Canada too.

The '77-'79, as Bleach says, were carb L20Bs. I had a W-58 from a '79 200sx and it was a P-nut w/round ex. ports. Maybe they all were.

The Canadian stuff shows up odd. The factory manual for my '80 510 says the Canadian ones had L20Bs in 1980. Never seen a Canadian '80 510, though.

The 49-State 1980 510 had the 4-plug Z20S. I had one, sold it to Ted, he has the engine still, I think. Yup, same dist as the '79. All Cali NAPS-Z were 8-plug, and yes it was for emissions.

I believe that all the EFI NAPS-Z engines in the US were dual plug. It's POSSIBLE that '80 200SXs had single, but I haven't seen one.

The dual plugs allow a lot less advance, but oh boy when one coil quits (and I've had it happen several times) the things run like crap.

In reality, the STOCK NAPS-Z Z20S put out more power than the STOCK '79 L20B, when you take the emissions requirements into account. Sure, strip the L20B down to bare minimum and you've eliminated parasitic equipment (the air pump) which robs power at all ranges above idle, and they now have more power. NAPS-Z engines never had air pumps so that power was recovered. And the flow characteristics of the head, while ruining top-end flow, actually HELPS with low-end torque.

As for the W58 L20B head, MOST were open chamber, but 200SXs had the closed in many cases (factory specs say they don't, but from what I hear, folks pull 'em off and they do). I know the '78-79 510 and 620s were open as I've pulled a bunch apart over the years and none were closed.

Maybe being a 'sporty' car, the 200sx was given a peanut head. Both my '78 truck W-58s are open, but not cast as an open. They appear to have started out as a P-nut and have been milled to open them up. You can see tool marks on them.

I looked into that exact thing a while back. The front cover doesn't line up at all among other things. I came to the conclusion that custom engine mounts would be much easier (just dropping in a KA24) than that KA20e engine construction.

One of the main problems are the water jackets. The head gaskets don't line up... so your oil and water passages won't all be flowing. (some do though) probably not a good idea. The L-series is a double row chain, the KA24e is a single row chain on the cam. Things like this can be worked around but the whole engine is a workaround and you're losing 400cc from a KA24e

I had heard rumor that it had been done but maybe it was just that someone looked into it and found out the same thing I did. :(

CA18DE

i want someone to put a ka head on a l20b and come up with a simple method of making it work... Jeff i'll leave you in charge of this :P

I looked into it, the de head would be really tuff, the E head not so bad if you put it on a L20 block its still a lot of work.

I looked into that exact thing a while back. The front cover doesn't line up at all among other things. I came to the conclusion that custom engine mounts would be much easier (just dropping in a KA24) than that KA20e engine construction.

One of the main problems are the water jackets. The head gaskets don't line up... so your oil and water passages won't all be flowing. (some do though) probably not a good idea. The L-series is a double row chain, the KA24e is a single row chain on the cam. Things like this can be worked around but the whole engine is a workaround and you're losing 400cc from a KA24e

I had heard rumor that it had been done but maybe it was just that someone looked into it and found out the same thing I did. :(

CA18DE

There was a guy at shasta a few years ago with a turbo KA20E that was making big power... Or at least thats what I heard.

I believe that all the EFI NAPS-Z engines in the US were dual plug. It's POSSIBLE that '80 200SXs had single, but I haven't seen one.

I was looking at a dudes 200 and it had the single plug, He wanted me to fix the car but it was a blown head gasket and I wasn't up for the challenge. I was amazed to see only one plug, after having a few ca18et's I always hated the extra plugs. I also had a 86 720 4x4

i like the l20b.. i want it fuel injected tho.. i will have this done eventually.. it IS possible.. i've seen it! that orangeish 510 at canby with the custom FI setup was sweet.. no dist either it was some other thing.. was tight tho..and the titanium exhuast sounded SOOO KILLER!